Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlebots

Battlebots

I was watching battlebots last night. I was seeing names of everything from magic to icq on the sides of bots. That's when I had this great idea, make an antionline bot! I've been thinking about making a bot for some time now, and I think this is my calling. JP, don't worry, I'm not asking for a sponsor or anything, don't worry about sending me a check (unless you want to), I'm just letting the community know to expect AntiBot to do more than sit around in irc.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

Sounds fun. I have always thought battlebots were fun to watch before they became popular on TV. I used to watch them when they showed a challenge between two colleges. That would be great to see a battle bot from Antionline. Just one question though. Who would be on it? And what would its setup be?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Great idea!
    I love that show. It is simply a show for guys who like to see **** destroyed. It would be awsome to see a AO bot make an apperance but highly unlikely; Unless of course you have major cash to waste.
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Yea, that sounds cool. You could do a design based on Mauler. I don't know if anybody remembers that one, so for those of you who don't, I will explain. It was basically a cylindrical bot, about 12" high, and had hammers spinning at high RPM along the outside of it's body, about 6" out. It was a shoddy build, but still virtually unbeatable. There was a Mauler II introduced in the second season, which was built more carefully, and had two 20 lb. hammers, instead of 4 light ones. Unforutnately, it lost in the first round, due to the fact that the hammers were not properly secured. One of the hammers flew off the first time it contacted the other bot. That threw it off balance, and sent it flying across the ring. The hit virtually destroyed the other bot, but it could still move (barely), so it won. I have never seen it since. It's a shame, since the design was virtually invincible.

I think that design would be the best to use. The wedges, saws, and lifting arms are all overused, meaning that the drivers are skilled in defending against them. They'd have a really hard time defending against a virtual force field of flying hammers, though. The only changes I would make would be to use four 10 lb. hammers instead of two 20 lb. ones. I would also put the hammers on 2 or 3 links of (heavy) chain as opposed to the one link on Mauler II. That would leave the hammer more room to shift and decelerate after impact, leaving it far less likely to snap off, without having an effect on the punch it packs. It might also be wise to use gas power for more torque, resulting in faster acceleration of the hammers (critical against an aggressive opponent). It would also help movement. I would probably use a lawnmower engine, or if that's too big, I'm pretty sure you can get 4-stroke weedwhacker engines. It wouldn't be as strong, but I think it would still be better than electric power. I'm aware of the complications associated with using gas, and I still think it would be worth it. Honda makes wonderful engines for things such as go-carts and lawnmowers, so I think that would be the brand to use. You would also have to have a remote electric starter just in case of the event of a stall.

Ideas are flowing......

Question

What is this battlebot stuff?? I live in Australia and I don't think it's on TV. However, we do have this show on right now - Robot Wars - which is basically robots made by people fighting and destroying each other in different scenarios. It's really kool

Is this basically the same as battlebots?

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

What is this battlebot stuff?? I live in Australia and I don't think it's on TV. However, we do have this show on right now - Robot Wars - which is basically robots made by people fighting and destroying each other in different scenarios. It's really kool

Is this basically the same as battlebots?

Greg
    Yes it is basiclly like robot wars. It is where you have two robots that get locked into an arena for 3 minutes (i think) and the last one standing or the one with the most hit points wins.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Originally posted by stflook
    It might also be wise to use gas power for more torque, resulting in faster acceleration of the hammers (critical against an aggressive opponent). It would also help movement. I would probably use a lawnmower engine, or if that's too big, I'm pretty sure you can get 4-stroke weedwhacker engines. It wouldn't be as strong, but I think it would still be better than electric power.
    Ideas are flowing......
    You better use a fast accelerater .. I saw mauler get taken out by a fast ass wedge before it could get it's hammers going. Once it was flipped over it was helpless.

My idea of a design...

Jaws of life and a sledge on top with a spike. Inside the spike is an unbraided metal cable ... attached to a winch inside the bot. Here's what happens - the JOL hold the other bot there, down comes the spike-sledge, out go the metal wires within the spike (which is now, hopefully, at the other bot's circuit board), a few shorts, and - viola! - a smoking bot.

It doesn't violate the rules (as of 2001), and I think it'd be really cool to short out someone's bot "from the inside".

~N~

Lightbulb A thought...

Are explosives allowed in the game?

/me *chuckles*...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Re: My idea of a design...

Originally posted by nietzsche

Jaws of life and a sledge on top with a spike. Inside the spike is an unbraided metal cable ... attached to a winch inside the bot. Here's what happens - the JOL hold the other bot there, down comes the spike-sledge, out go the metal wires within the spike (which is now, hopefully, at the other bot's circuit board), a few shorts, and - viola! - a smoking bot.

It doesn't violate the rules (as of 2001), and I think it'd be really cool to short out someone's bot "from the inside".

~N~

There's a couple potential problems, and things you didn't cover. First, how are you going to drive the sledge into the bot? The power has to come from somewhere. Also, the makers of other bots aren't dumb. They use thick plates. I have only seen a bot penetrate steel armor once, and the bot was so big, slow and awkward that it was defeated soon after. I've seen lexan shields destroyed, but they're not too common in the Battlebots arena. Also, do you know how much one of those jaws of life sets weighs? They're not exactly featherweights, not to mention that something that powerful would be overkill. If you used some actual jaws of life, you shouldn't need any of the other stuff (*crunch*). If you want jaws and the other stuff, you should use something scaled-down a bit.

Let's assume you penetrate the other bot with your spike and miss the electronics. How are you going to get it out? They're a lot harder to bring up than they are to slam down. The spike is also likely to bind with something.

What I would do with that design would be to forget the jaws of life, and concentrate on the spiked hammer. First off, I would power it with a garage door spring. That's what the bot that could penetrate armor used. You should also barb it, so in case you miss the electronics, you merely need to assist it to the pulverizer, and wait for the match to end. I would also diamond-tip the spike, as to keep it from dulling too fast, especially if you miss. You can still keep the cable in the spike, since the audience would probably love it, especially if you put power to them (after all, you have an entire arena to fill with the stench of burnt plastic! )! I'm still working on how to bring the spike back up after slamming it down, but gimme a break. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I'm SURE it wasn't planned out in a day.