Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1M if you break Oracle 9i

$1M if you break Oracle 9i

I've recently read at http://www.oracle.com/guarantee/performancekit/
    and http://www.sql-tutorial.net/faq2.htm that if you can beat the Oracle 9i Application Server you will win $1,000,000..
    My hat's off to who ever dose so.. After loseing that lump sum of money they'll change their slogan.

Remote_Access_

He'll be bankrupt by 5:00. I can't believe how arrogant that guy is....

Maybe when he realizes what a dumb mistake he made, he'll come here and start a flame war. After all, that's what all the other dumb people do.

<sigh>

Didn't we see this with Oracle 8i already? <cough> BUFFER OVERFLOW ATTACK <cough> Oh, well ... guess it takes some $1M to learn.

~N~

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, some could call this "Outsourced develop and troubleshooting" and could write it off on taxes. Oracle's got the money to drop on this, and everyone knows that "the programmer is the last person who should be testing their own software".
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

My GOD ... a tax-write-off! Man, Vorlin, you seem to have hit it on the head with this!

~N~

Wink $Cash_Money

Yes, we all know 0racle has the money for that sort of advertisement but "Why would they want to do that?", you ask.
    Interesting question...

<THEORY> I suppose if you encourage hackers/crackers to break their server then the holes will be fixed in the next version. Makeing it a better application with more security than the last version. Ingenious idea isn't it?</THEORY>

Remote_Access_

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    RA:

Exactly. Another thing...if it's broken into or otherwise busted, they can then say it was planned because of the contest and they don't lose face (like MS does ALL the time, surprised they have any left) when announcing it.
    Stipulation is that they have to provide the way they broke it of course (the person who breaks it). Not a bad way to do it and they'd have to offer quite a bit of money because nobody usually tries to bust into a system through the database (although some smart mother****ers got apache that way, white hats though).
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Why in the heck would somebody offer money tempting someone to break their system?! I mean, let's face it, there's always a way inside, nothing is foolproof. That's just being arrogant and asking for trouble when you lay money on the line like that. Wish I had that kind of money to just throw around.
    - Maverick

Re: Why?

Why in the heck would somebody offer money tempting someone to break their system?!
    I thought I answered that in my previous post.. Look at the <THEORY> stated above.. Now do you get it? I know there's always a way inside and so dose 0racle.. That's why they encourage people to find the holes so they can be fixed and a better product will be the result of this.

Remote_Access_

My spin on this ...

You know what? The above theory is right on ... however, I have a more underhanded explanation. Ellison is a media slut. Think about it - it's a win-win: if "ORACLE UNHACKABLE" comes out of this - it's a win. if "ORACLE HACKED; ELLISON PROMISES FIX" comes out of this - he's a hero for being proactive - again, a win.

Maybe I'm just being cynical here ... but methinks not.

Comments?
    ~N~