Thread: The Fast And The F@#ked

\"SI JE PUIS\"

Well, I guess if I'm shopping online I could tolerate a little slowdown if I was going to reasonably sure that my data was protected as it travelled down the lines. That's the price to be paid.
    - Maverick

Although firewalls can help to maintain security during e-commerce transactions, they can also slow down communications between shoppers and online order processing systems, said Matthew Berk, an analyst at Jupiter Media Metrix in New York.
    Booo Hooooo. . . . . There are always downsides to having security. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Although some online retailers kept holiday shoppers queued for nearly 15 seconds while their Web transactions were processed
    Ahahahaha.... Whoever gets irked at waiting 15 seconds REALLY has to get their priorities straight!

I think someone went ahead once and calculated an office's lost employee time to computer bootups. I mean, jeez, if I was going to shop from an online establishment which could be up to a few thousand miles away from me, a whole minute waiting for a 'Payment Completed' screen would be worth it...

Maybe it's some sort of counter-reformation to Ritalin?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Although some online retailers kept holiday shoppers queued for nearly 15 seconds while their Web transactions were processed

I wait longer than that for a page to load @ AntiOnline!

What the hell?

...Although some online retailers kept holiday shoppers queued for nearly 15 seconds while their Web transactions were processed...
    Ummm ... 15 *whole* seconds to keep your account information safe & encrypted, rather than slopping it down the line en clair? <sigh> So I guess these are the same people who take their credit card receipts and just *put* them on top of the trash, stapled together and neatly colated, ready for a diver to come along? Or, better yet, just hang 'em outside their door?

I think the word for this is "jaded". Shoppers want it *now*, not in 15 seconds ... and God help the company that has to issue a dreaded "your card information *may* have been compromised ... we're not sure" statement.

Man ... this is sad.

I think someone went ahead once and calculated an office's lost employee time to computer bootups.

did one here couple years back...we had 8 boxes on a win98 p2p ...the amount of time wasted spent rebooting from bsod's and resource exhaustion over the year paid for win2k server, win2k pro for each and a nice bottle o' scotch for me...

thing pissed me off most was i should a billed m$ for the wasted time...instead paid them several g's to upgrade to a prog that actually 'works' (ya..i know that's debatable too..)

nice

Well there has always been a very thick, black line between security and convenience.

The only good thing that comes out of this is the fact that the new Digex firewall is based on the swiss cheese code of Nokia and good ol' checkpoint.

Can you say security risk? I knew you could.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Talking

To quote once again the line from Evi Nemeth's Unix System's Adminstrator's Handbook:

Security = 1 / Convenience
    And since when do customers (most) have any idea on "security". They think of physical security and not what's behind the scenes. Much like flipping the switch and just having the lights come on. Outside of that, if it's broke, they have no idea how.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

hmmmmm...I guess waiting 15 seconds isn't so bad from the customer's standpoint. I work in E-commerce and the extra speed is a godsend from the server's position.