Thread: OS History and other info.

Post OS History and other info.

Recently ~micael requested to see more information on the history of OS's.. Well, I wasn't sure which OS so posted everything I could find..

History of Apple Contains history of Apple from 1981-2000

History of OS X History of the Mac OS X dateing from early 1984 - 2000

History of Linux
    History of Linux.Here are some famous words by Linus himself.

Dijkstra probably hates me
    (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)

"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only
    coded it."
    (Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting)

"I'm an idiot.. At least this one [bug] took about 5 minutes to find.."
    (Linus Torvalds in response to a bug report.)

"If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
    of different places, just write a Unix operating system."
    (By Linus Torvalds)

Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
    should use Linux over BSD?

No. That's it. The cool name, that is. We worked very hard on
    creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able to say "OS/2? Hah. I've got Linux. What a cool name". 386BSD made the mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too technical.
    (Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux)

The day people think linux would be better served by somebody else (FSF being the natural alternative), I'll "abdicate". I don't think that it's something people have to worry about right now - I don't see it happening in the near future. I enjoy doing linux, even though it does mean some work, and I haven't gotten any complaints (some almost timid reminders about a patch I have forgotten or ignored, but nothing negative so far).

Don't take the above to mean that I'll stop the day somebody complains: I'm thick-skinned (Lasu, who is reading this over my shoulder commented that "thick-HEADED is closer to the truth") enough to take some abuse. If I weren't, I'd have stopped developing linux the day ast ridiculed me on c.o.minix. What I mean is just that while linux has been my baby so far, I don't want to stand in the way if people want to make something better of it (*).
    - Linus

(*) Hey, maybe I could apply for a saint-hood from the Pope. Does somebody know what his email-address is? I'm so nice it makes you puke.
    (Taken from Linus's reply to someone worried about the future of Linux)

`When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".'
    (By Linus Torvalds)

Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse for some of the brain-damages of minix.
    (Linus Torvalds to Andrew Tanenbaum)

I didn't think anyone was interested in the history of winblowz but here's alink IF anyone is interested.. If there's something I missed let me know, which I'm sure you will, and I'll add it later. In the mean time, here's a link to other OS's that I forgot to list.

Remote_Access_

Nice work again !!

But what I wanted was not the history, but the start dates of the differen OS's added to the nice time line you made in the previous post.. In that way everyone could compare when the different "competitors" showed up on the scene and maybe when they dropped off .

I was maybe a bit unclear when asking for this favor, sorry !!

Lightbulb OS history

Thanks but I thought you just wanted a history of OS's not a time line for all of 'em.. I see what your saying now. It'll have to wait till after while though. I posted a reply but obviously it didn't get posted..No problem though. I like researching information.
    I'll post a new thread for it later.. see ya.

Remote_Access_

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    That's some good **** dude...although it seems Tanenbaum had something up his ass though...guess that comes with the territory of being a professor and programmer, hehe...if there's one thing I can't stand, it's teachers thinking they're higher than others just because of experience or tenureship...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Windows History

Windows timeline (taken from http://www.oshistory.edu.kg/

Windows 9x Kernel

November 1983
    Windows Annouced

November 1985
    Windows 1.0

April 1987
    Windows 2.0

May 1990
    Windows 3.0

April 1992
    Windows 3.1

February 1994
    Windows 3.11

August 1995
    Windows 95

June 1998
    Windows 98

May 1999
    Windows 98 SE

November 1999
    Windows Millennium Edition Beta 2

September 2000
    Windows Me

January 2001
    Dead of Win9x Kernel Officially Announced

Windows NT Kernel

August 1993
    Windows NT 3.1

September 1994
    Windows NT 3.5

June 1995
    Windows NT 3.51

August 1996
    Windows NT 4.0

September 1997
    Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1

August 1998
    Windows NT 5.0 Beta 2

April 1999
    Windows 2000 Beta 3

July 1999
    Windows 2000 Release Candidate (RC) 1

September 1999
    Windows 2000 RC 2

November 1999
    Windows 2000 RC 3

February 2000
    Windows 2000

July 2000
    Windows 2000 SP1

August 2000
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

July 2000
    Windows Whristler Developer Preview

October 2000
    Windows Whristler Beta 1

March 2001
    Windows XP Beta 2

June 2001
    Windows XP RC1

July 2001
    Windows XP RC2

August 2001
    Windows XP RTM

Windows CE Kernel

November 1996
    Windows CE 1.0

November 1997
    Windows CE 2.0

July 1998
    Windows CE 2.1

April 2000
    Pocket PC - Windows CE 3.0

April 2001
    Windows Talisker Beta 1

Unix timeline

Unix timeline (taken from http://www.unix-systems.org/what_is_..._timeline.html )

The Beginning
    The history of UNIX starts back in 1969, when Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and others started working on the "little-used PDP-7 in a corner" at Bell Labs and what was to become UNIX.

First Edition
    It had a assembler for a PDP-11/20, file system, fork(), roff and ed. It was used for text processing of patent documents.

Fourth Edition
    It was rewritten in C. This made it portable and changed the history of OS's.

Sixth Edition
    UNIX leaves home. Also widely known as Version 6, this is the first to be widely available out side of Bell Labs. The first BSD version (1.x) was derived from V6.

Seventh Edition
    It was a "improvement over all preceding and following Unices" [Bourne]. It had C, UUCP and the Bourne shell. It was ported to the VAX and the kernel was more than 40 Kilobytes (K).

Xenix
    Microsoft introduces Xenix. 32V and 4BSD introduced.

System III
    AT&T's UNIX System Group (USG) release System III, the first public release outside Bell Laboratories.

System V
    Computer Research Group (CRG), UNIX System Group (USG) and a third group merge to become UNIX System Development Lab. AT&T announces UNIX System V, the first supported release.

4.2BSD
    University of California at Berkeley releases 4.2BSD, includes TCP/IP, new signals and much more.

SVR2
    System V Release 2 introduced. At this time there are 100,000 UNIX installations around the world.

4.3BSD
    4.3BSD released, including internet name server

SVR3
    System V Release 3 including STREAMS, TLI, RFS. At this time there are 750,000 UNIX installations around the world.

POSIX.1 published. Open Software Foundation (OSF) and UNIX International (UI) formed.

AT&T UNIX Software Operation formed in preparation for spinoff of USL.

SVR4
    UNIX System V Release 4 ships, unifying System V, BSD and Xenix

XPG3
    X/Open launches XPG3 Brand

UNIX System Laboratories (USL) becomes a company - majority-owned by AT&T. Linus Torvalds commences Linux development

SVR4.2
    USL releases UNIX System V Release 4.2 (Destiny). October - XPG4 Brand launched by X/Open. December 22nd Novell announces intent to acquire USL.

4.4BSD
    4.4BSD the final release from Berkeley. June 16 Novell acquires USL

Late 1993
    SVR4.2MP
    Novell transfers rights to the "UNIX" trademark and the Single UNIX Specification to X/ Open. In December Novell ships SVR4.2MP , the final USL OEM release of System V

4.4-Lite
    BSD 4.4-Lite eliminated all code claimed to infringe on USL/Novell

UNIX 95
    X/Open introduces the UNIX 95 branding programme. Novell sells UnixWare business to SCO.

The Open Group forms as a merger of OSF and X/Open.

Single UNIX Specification, Version 2
    The Open Group introduces Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification, including support for realtime, threads and 64-bit and larger processors. The specification is made freely available on the web.

UNIX 98
    The Open Group introduces the UNIX 98 family of brands, including Base, Workstation and Server. First UNIX 98 registered products shipped by Sun, IBM and NCR. The Open Source movement starts to take off with announcements from Netscape and IBM

UNIX at 30
    The UNIX system reaches its 30th anniversary. Linux 2.2 kernel released. The Open Group and the IEEE commence joint development of a revision to POSIX and the Single UNIX Specification. First LinuxWorld conferences. Several Open Source companies launch successfully on the stock markets.

Version 3 of the Single UNIX Specification
    Version 3 of the Single UNIX Specification unites IEEE POSIX, The Open Group and the industry efforts. Linux 2.4 kernel released. IT stocks face a hard time at the markets.

OS history

A site with many links about OS history
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/

DOS timeline

The history of DOS (taken from http://www.geocities.com/thecyberprice/dostimeline.htm

86-DOS
    02/1981
    Jim Paterson’s “Quick and Dirty Operating System (QDOS)” first run on IBM PC.

PC-DOS 1.0
    08/1981
    Original IBM release.

MS-DOS-1.0
    08/1981
    When IBM introduced its IBM Personal Computer, it uses the Microsoft’s 16-bit operating system MS-DOS 1.0 and could run with Microsoft BASIC, COBOL, PASCAL and other Microsoft products.

MS-DOS 1.1
    05/1982
    Supported double-sided floppy disks.

PC-DOS 2.0
    03/1983
    Used for PC/XT, UNIX-type subdirectory support, I/O redirection, installable device drivers, subdirectories, hard drive support & can handle calls.

MS-DOS 2.0
    03/1983
    Programmers didn’t re-program the code. They did it from scratch. Supported 10 MB hard disks, a tree-structured file system & 360 KB disks.

PC-DOS 3.0
    08/1984
    1.2 MB drive for PC/AT, new external programs, additional system calls, FAT16 & specific support for IBM network.

PC-DOS 3.3
    04/1987
    Supported 1.44 MB floppy disks and multiple 32MB drive partitions. Sold for $120.

MS-DOS 3.0
    08/1984
    Supported 1.2 MB floppy disks and supported bigger than 10 MB hard disks.

MS-DOS 3.3
    08/1987
    it released.

PC-DOS 3.3
    04/1987
    Used for PS/2 series, multiple DOS partition support, code page switching, 1.44 MB support, improved foreign language support, some additional function calls & support for PC/AT’s CMOS system clock.

PC-DOS 4.0
    08/1988
    Broke the 32 MB limitation, mirror EMS support and more function calls.

MS-DOS 4.0
    04/1986
    Multitasking (in Europe only). Withdrawn from the market after a very short time because it’s buggy. Added shell interface and supported hard disk partitions over 32MB.

MS-DOS 4.01
    04/1990
    Introduced Russian MS-DOS 4.01 for the Soviet market.

MS-DOS 5.0
    06/1991
    High memory support, could use up to 8 hard disks, supports command, aliasing 2.88 MB floppies & ROMable OEM kit available.

MS-DOS 6.0
    03/1993
    Support for disk compression (double space), multiple configurations in CONFIG.SYS.

MS-DOS 6.20
    11/1993
    Released.

MS-DOS 6.21
    02/1994
    Removed double space compression.

MS-DOS 6.22
    06/1994
    Brought back the disk compression under the name “DriveSpace”.

Nice work all of you..

I guess that I'll take all the nice info you have provided and make a poster of it.

When I have earned my first 6 digit number of euro I'll try to remember all of you and invite you to my southern paradise, **** I woke up from my sweet dream.

Anyway a poster is a good idea and I think that I'll try to make a poster of it, a timeline with easy comparison between all os flawors presented..

Talking !Doh

Good post VictorKaum.. Hehe, beat me to it but
    poitive points for you.. I still haven't fount the time
    to make a time line for all the OS's on one post...

Remote_Access_