Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zonealarm/win9x logon

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    If so, the router would be the only device visible to the outside world; i.e. the outside world can't see that 9x box that is not logged into Windows.
    Yeah, all it does is either get it's information from the router, or it connects to the router (as the router's listed as the gateway in my setup). Other than that, nothing gets to the win9x box because all ports are closed outside of what ZA lets through in the "trusted network" part. Also, nothing inbound will make it through unless the port is listed in the "access control list" that the router has (I use the DLink DI704). Basically it's a port list that's allowed and you can set up groups and such...

Even if you get the one port routers, from linksys or dlink, it's DEFINITELY worth every penny as it separates you from the outside. I mean, think about it, do you want a car with a firewall or without one? Yeah, I thought so, hehe...you want one with a firewall because if you got into a head-on without one, the engine would be in your lap...not a good idea, eh? Hehe...

Oh, VictorKaum: MS anything == security risk (to me anyways)
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

well there ya go...thx for the input all...one of those things that has been sitting in the back of my brain for a while...nagging me...it's the share issue that is most concerning...also you'd be potentially vulnerable to this even if you 'always' logged on...a power outage or some other unattended crash will put you at that logon dialog on reboot...(provide you're not nat'ed safely behind a firewall)

...btw...just had a rtfm moment and checked the za site...no mention of this potential problem anywhere...course they'll say...it's a problem with win9x...and don't do that...but i'd bet a lot of folks think they're protected but aren't..

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: zigar

easiest solution to your prob is: use some Linux box configured as router/firewall or a hardware router/firewall.

And what concerns ZA, it states after log on:
    "ZoneAlarm is now loaded, you are protected"

hadn't worried about it too much...since it's only a game box...and i had...been relying on za to "protect me' but i do realize the danger being a unknowing ddos participant...but it's all good...getting a firebox soho next week...