Thread: DeCSS update

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Angry DeCSS update

Check this out:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/306

That's about the indictement of one of the guys who did the DeCSS code. I like his lawyer's quote though. "He broke the encryption of something he had access to. He owned the DVD."
    (something similar to that anyways)

What is this world coming to...let's indict people who break into things computer-related but let's let those guys who held up the bank 3 years ago killing 4 people go because of "good behaviour"...Kevin Mitnick anyone?
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Too true.

You can't put this guy in prison for breaking into his personally owned stuff. that makes no sense but then again I've heard of far stranger things happening in the courtrooms all over the world.

FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!

*chant* ANARCHY, ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

He's being charged for breaking the DVD protection system. Although he didn't break it for copying DVDs, he published the code and made it possible for others to copy. But he's not chared for publishing, only for breaking.

If he didn't publish the code, he problably wouldn't be in trouble, nobody would have noticed. I suppose he didn't learn as a kid not to mess with the big boys, cos you're gonna get burnt.....
    ---
    proactive

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yeah but the problem with that is that the lawyers against him "accidentally" put the code as part of evidence on their website as well...took a day to realize it but by then, it had been downloaded by the hundreds, if not thousands. Does this mean they should be brought to "justice" as well? Oh, of course not, that's an accident, yeah...fsckers. Did you know you can use 'dig' and 'perl' to find out the code buried in someone's DNS cache? Hehe...amazing shite!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

km = criminal

Sometimes you eat the bear .....
    ..... sometimes the bear eats you.

They took a known risk ... they knew what they were doing wasn't entirely copacetic. C'est la vie.

On another issue:

... Kevin Mitnick anyone
    This is nothing like Kevin Mitnick's situation. Kevin Mitnick was a criminal. His exploits, for years before he got caught were malicious in nature (as was his personality). He was not a happy camper ... and should not be anyone's hero....he was insolent, arrogant and mean-spirited. Yeah, I agree, he got somewhat of a raw deal in that the legalities of how he was treated after he was apprehended are questionable ... but there's no question that he was out to hurt other ppl and needed some cooling off time out of main-stream society.

The one thing that someone should look at KM and emmulate is his unquenchable curiosity and the passion he had to seek and to know.

"Man cannot survive except throgh his mind. He comes on earth unarmed. His brain is his only weapon. Animals obtain food by force. Man has no claws, no fangs, no horns, no great strength of muscle. He must plant his food or hunt it. To plant, he needs a process of thought. To hunt he needs weapons, and to make weapons - a process of thought. From this simplest necessity to the highest religious abstraction, from the wheel to the skyscraper, everything we are and everything we have comes from a single attribute of man - the function of the reasoning mind."
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=

re: niboreon

*munching on niboreonĀ“s leg*
    So it is ok to parole physicaly violent robber/rapist/whatever but not the criminal hacker?
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

So it is ok to parole physicaly violent robber/rapist/whatever but not the criminal hacker?
    I think so....hackers cause more damage (even if by accident) to more people...imho

Maybe we should have a prison island somewhere...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Maybe we should have a prison island somewhere...
    Hehe, that's how Australia got started (or something similar).

Post Hmm...

Originally posted by: jcmbc
    I think so....hackers cause more damage (even if by accident) to more people...imho

So ...a single man cracking the DVD encryption is way to dangerous to be in our society. He should be locked up for life...or better yet death! Hah!...what are you? crazy? Here...let me refresh your mind with some names who did far more damage than the world's most malacious hacker/cracker/phreaker...
    [list=1][*]Osama BinLaden[*]Una-Bomber[*]Jack the Ripper[*]Charles Manson[*]Columbine Kids[/list=1]

So you see... hackers just want to gain knowledge...wheather it be through malacious ways or not. Anything that comes in their way of reaching "The Holy Grail of Knowledge" will be sacrificed...(even if by accident...). I mean, give me a break. Hackers [malacious] spread fear and chaos in an 'unreal' world. Unless they penetrate security for the CIA, FBI, Stock Market, or some other governmental agency (which would be a highly foolish thing to do), there is no 'grave' danger.
    Then again you might be facing some hacker pediphile with no social life... then thats when you chain proxies, switch your online identity, change your e-mail address, and install "Brinks Home Security" ...(which for some reason I have installed...just incase fella's...just inacase...)...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]