Thread: Computer help plz

Question Computer help plz

Ok here is the problem.
    I installed linux on my laptop some time ago. I used the niffty "Linux for Windows" bull ****. When it worked right i would turn on my computer and it boots up. It goes to a stage1 and stage2 then it ask which OS i want to use. Now on to the problem:

One day i mistakely deleted a file while i was in windows(not sure which one) and when i turn on the laptop it boots to stage1 and stops. Nothing else happens it just stays there. And i have no back up

If you guys have any advice or a solution please reply

P.S. it has win 98 and linux mandrake 8.1
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re:

I had once a frozen dualboot system due to Norton...it had overwritten linuxloader...
    I got 'LI'

If you have the same screen -> don't panic just rewrite the Lilo file in the boot sector.
    Otherwise:
    You accidently deleted the lilo config file. But you mentioned that "Linux for Windows"... so you start with Windows and load Linux? I never used that method....

Anyway perhaps Vorlin knows immediatly what file you deleted when you describe your screen output.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Whoa...someone here thinks I have an answer..amazing...hee hee, I have fooled VictorKaum, yeah! *gleefully rubs hands together* Tomorrow, the world! The world I say!...

*pause* Right...so you're getting a 'frozen' session for booting up. I'm not quite sure what you mean by Stage 1/2. Stage 1 I can guess is the POST with Stage 2 being Lilo (in your situation) and you pick the operating system. Is this right? If so, keep reading, if not...write back and tell me what you've got.

10 to 1 you might've blown away the configuration file for linux, which would have pointed to the windows directory as well. This file (I'm guessing on your distro) is called lilo.conf and sits in /etc (/etc/lilo.conf). If that's the problem, it needs to be repropogated (I believe when you run lilo -v, which rebuilds it, it saves a copy). To do this, what you need to do is take your linux startup disk (you made one, right?) and use it to start up....you'll be in effective 'single user mode' where you have a very simple shell to do some work. Since your problem lies in /etc and doesn't require any mounted filesystems, you won't have to run much.

1: Start the machine with your linux startup disk.
    2: Follow on-screen prompts to enter a repair mode (something like that, you might need root's password for security though).
    3: When you get to the shell level (something like # or $, depending on distro), run 'lilo -v'.

That should do it. If not, something else got fux0red and I need more information. What file did you get rid of, if you remember? Hint: if you don't know what it does, it's safe enough to keep until you can find out.

Thanks and I hope this didn't confuse/lose you, because then that'd mean you're lost and so am I and whatever will we do then!? *kidding* We'll get your problems fixed!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Vorlin

*pauze* LOL *play*

Hey Vorlin accurate coverage:
    That's the way I fixed my 'LI' prob...
    Now let's hope this guy had a boot disk.

linux boot disk

If he doesn't have a boot disk he can use Tom's Root Boot or the Crash Recovery and fix things.

Tom's Root Boot
    http://www.toms.net/rb/

Crash Recovery
    http://crashrecovery.org/

Both can be built from his (or a friend's) windows partition.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=

Yippie Yippe hurray hurray!!!! Beautiful simply Beautiful.

Thanks guys it worked. Now i can travel with a comp. again
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Thumbs up WOW!!

WOW this guy talks like he MADE linux...LOL

if i need Lunix help I sure know who to find

err... did thay guy get back yet.....hmmmm.....
    Corynthus