Thread: Cool feature in win XP

Cool feature in win XP

MS have come up with this great new feature, anti-aliasing of fonts in winXP. I was kidding around with VNC, controlling my XP box from my linux laptop and it suddenly struck me: This is real good stuff from MS. The text is much more comfortable and easy to read.

I took a screenshot to show you the difference between Opera for linux and Opera for windows (windows at the top), but it ony gives you an impression of the difference. Wouldn't want to waste your bandwith with a big image.
    ---
    proactive

hmmm. the image wasn't attached.... second try
    ---
    proactive

sorry people, with opera 5.0 attaching pictures doesn't seem to work. **** it.
    ---
    proactive

Senior since the 3 dot era

attaching does not work

Yep, I noticed the same prob at some sites with Opera 5

If I remember correctly, I get AA-fonts in Accelerated X 5.01 that I bought a few years back. Of course, that got lost in moves into and out of a school dorm.

The question for me, though, is "Anti-Aliasing ... at what price?". There are a lot of other "features" that XP has, including a slew of security involved ones (head to shieldsup.com to check out Bill Gibson's take on it)...

~N~

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Have you tried Opera 6? And while this might be conspiracy theory, but bet you ten to one it works in IE. And as for anti-aliasing for fonts, they could've done high-definition when they created them instead of doing the half-assed **** they've thrown out. But I guess if it looks cool enough, people will overlook the glaring holes in XP, haha.

Thanks, but no thanks, I won't get XP. If I want good graphics, I'll use my Geforce 3 ti500 for that because we all know hardware acceleration, as well as hardware antialiasing (man, 3dfx had the goods on nVidia first as far as HW FSAA).
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

The Opera 6.0 TP2 for linux is to buggy yet. The final for windows is excellent though. But I won't change my linux for anti-aliased fonts. Maybe when I get a copy of Visual Studio .Net

As for the security issues for windows, I guess nobody will choose windows over whatever os. But MS got lots of great developers on their salary-list so some good thing have to come out. The AA stuff is one of them.

What MS have found out, is that the reading on a computer screen is 20-30% slower than reading from a piece of paper. So that's what the AA stuff is for. More comfortable reading equals faster reading.
    ---
    proactive