Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antipoint Earners

Re: some loser is harassing people

Originally posted by redthefed
    I got some negative antipoints from someone with the comment "Send me anti-pointz (disapprovez, red buttonz), because if you don't do this i will send you anti-points (disapprovez, red buttonz) for ever. Merry Christmas OhOhOh." I have no idea who this is, has anyone got this also?
    I got attempted ones like that one time too. I don't know who it is, but I have some ideas. It's not big deal though. Every forum has its losers with no purpose but to [attempt to] make everybody's life miserable. He's probably gotten bored with it, and left by now.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Unless the antipoints system has some changes to it as follows, I won't necessarily believe a negative/positive post unless I know the people enough (which is kind of hard on the net):

1: make the post auto-assign the name of whoever's doing it, regardless.
    2: make the comment field optional
    3: add in a javascript yes/no so that when someone posts either positive or negative, it asks them if they're sure. This is mainly for the negative posts because then it's another step before they shove - points down the line. It might help, or might not.

Anonymous posting is something that's just not conducive to the idea of the points system. And anyone who has to sign someone else's name because they think it's funny is just as bad. If the name is autosigned, it puts a level of honesty on the floor and people might be a little more careful with their postings.

Question: why is it people don't mind signing positive points (most of the time) but 9.99 out of 10 times, they won't sign a name (or even a comment) when assigning negative points?

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion and probably has already been said before.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

That's a hell of a good idea, Vorlin. Hopefully this'll be implimented.

~N~

1: make the post auto-assign the name of whoever's doing it, regardless.
    2: make the comment field optional
    3: add in a javascript yes/no so that when someone posts either positive or negative, it asks them if they're sure. This is mainly for the negative posts because then it's another step before they shove - points down the line. It might help, or might not.
    1: I think a problem with auto assigning names is that there might be more of a revenge factor. Suppose Person A gives negative antipoints to Person B. Person B might lash back, and Person A will be down just because he told the guy what he thought. Person A is unhappy with this and lashed back. Person B does likewise and now we've got ourselves an antipoint war.

A better idea might be to make an assign-name button optional, and when it's used an antipoint might carry more sting.

2: Not just optional. Mandatory. Definitely mandatory. If I get points I want to know why.

3. I definitely agree. Good idea.
    Why am I still here?

I don't think the anti-point system is so bad. I actually think it is making people think before they post pissed off angry messages. I'll admit it caught me a few times. Sometimes I'll be ready to start cursing at someone like crazy but instead I end up explaining why I disagree and it usually ends up resulting in postive anti-points.

Of course I've gotten a few negatives that I didn't think were fair, but If you are a good AO Citizen it seems that the positives outweigh the negatives.

BTW, where can i see the top anti-point earners? It used to be on the front page but I don't see it anymore. I remember I used to be number 14 or 15. Wondering where I'm at now.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Originally posted by jared_c

BTW, where can i see the top anti-point earners? It used to be on the front page but I don't see it anymore. I remember I used to be number 14 or 15. Wondering where I'm at now.
    I think JP took it down because somebody was going around targeting the top antipoint earners...I guess jealousy was a factor or something.

Angry Re: some loser is harassing people

QUOTE] Originally posted by redthefed
    I got some negative antipoints from someone with the comment "Send me anti-pointz (disapprovez, red buttonz), because if you don't do this i will send you anti-points (disapprovez, red buttonz) for ever. Merry Christmas OhOhOh." I have no idea who this is, has anyone got this also? [/QUOTE]

Yes I got that also.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Maybe if users couldn't give out negative antipoints, only postive points, this wouldn't be so much of a problem? Just a suggestion.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Originally posted by smirc
    Maybe if users couldn't give out negative antipoints, only postive points, this wouldn't be so much of a problem? Just a suggestion.
    Some people around here NEED negative points.
    But unfortunately the ones that give anon neg points are the ones who don't really post anything of use. oh well.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I don't really think we need negative points. If you see a user with no postive points you can just take that to mean that they don't really contribute much positive feedback. Negative points allow poeple to abuse the system more. Another possibility, as someone else already suggested, is to show a user's positive and negative points. This would be more informative than just showing one value.

But I do agree that poeple should not be allowed to give negative points without giving a reason.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.