Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Port 139 (again)

Mail filter

Zone Alarm doesn't filter email, but it does 'quarantine' attachments.

Isn't that what an Anti Virus is for ? To scan emails and attachments after they pass the firewall.

Excuse my thought process, but I seperate 'hacks/intrusions' from
    'virus/worms'.

Consequently I run both firewall(s) and Anti Virus.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted by protocool
    the very best thing i did is to setup another computer which will be your firewall a little tweaking is needed. this computer will act as a sub-server of the proxy server. acts like a net on anything. email on how it is done protocool@antionline.org
    I'am using the same setup right now... like many others here.

I think it's a very good way to go, especially when you use a linux box to perform the firewall task

I think this is about how secure you want your system to be. The most secure solution is to run a seperate PC as a hardware firewall (which is what most commercial organisations do).

However, if you are running a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, Tiny, whatever), together with an up to date virus scanner, this is extremely difficult to breach, as long as it is used correctly i.e. don't open attachments (save them instead, and let your AV scanner evaluate them), don't use the preview pane in Outlook etc.

For example, it is almost impossible to hack IE, because something like ZoneAlarm will recognise the change.
    And the second line of defence is your AV scanner (together with a routine scan for trojans), which should pick up any changes.

I have zonealarm, its pretty nice.

I dont think SyGate is a firewall though. I use it to link my two computers to share the same cable connection, with one being the server, ( its the one with the connectioin). I could be wrong though //shrug//

:

Senior since the 3 dot era
    What you mean is the Sygate Home Network, which is a software router to split an internet connection.
    You can config this software to do a NAT for you, so the computers in your LAN are not visible from the internet side and I believe the packet also provides statefull packet inspection...
    That's for Sygate Home Network

What I mean with *Sygate* is the Sygate personal Firewall which is free available from their website.

ok, that makes a bit more sense lol.

Banned

Unhappy

actualy, this works on the LAN atleast, all someone needs to do is to use IE to access all your shares. \\IP.Address.goes.here\ put that in your address box gives you an idiots view of all the shares and then you just navigate like its a local directory