Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux

Originally posted by Cykat
    I was thinking about getting linux because I have heard really good things about it.

If you follow THIS link you can read Micro$oft's "in house" theory on the threat Of Open Source Software to their company. The documents are known as "The Halloween Documents."

I would say go for SuSE!
    Well it is not that user friendly as they all say, not everybody installs it on a box with 128 mb of ram.
    Anyway, if you don't know what DHCP is or anything basic I would say stick with windows first and master it before moving on. Besides windows and unix types of OS are entirely diffrent.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Which Linux?

choose a relatif easy distro to start, like a recent RedHat, Suse or Mandrake.
    check your hardware compatibility first!
    you can choose between distributions at www.linux.org

and you don't need to know program languages to use Linux, but if you do it will give you more possibilities. (as stated here before)

I suggest you purchase a distribution so you get the manuals too...

originaly posted by Focmaester
    Anyway, if you don't know what DHCP is or anything basic I would say stick with windows first and master it before moving on. Besides windows and unix types of OS are entirely diffrent.

mandrake 8.1
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

i think im going to get mandrake, this guy i know is going to help me learn how it works, hes a security tech for a company near me, so he knows what he is doing.

From the way it sounds it will be alot better than windows.