Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple has the looks...what about Intel?

Cool Apple has the looks...what about Intel?

I had a look at the new iMac and I like what I see, but what about these different looking machines from Intel??

http://developer.intel.com/technolog.../conceptpc.htm

What do you all think? Do you favour the old beige coloured boxes or believe that it's time to move into the future with new 'funky' looking boxes??

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Hi mom!
    All that new looks have to be developed, thus cost you money. I wish they'd spend that money somewhere else, I don't want to pay for looks that I hide away under my desk anyway...

Before I go out and boy a designer pc, I have to find what's useful about good design. I don't see why I would want to place my computer in a room where people could see it. Actually, I like to place my computer somewhere where I can have some peace and quiet, easier to concentrate when nobody's bugging you.

So, a designer pc should not be used for regular work. But what other use could a pc provide? Maybe if I got lots of money and could buy a state of the art hi-fi/sorrund system with a large tv, with a designer pc controlling it. I could have my pc control the lights in my apartment, the heater in my car for cold monday mornings. And lots of of other stuff proabably, but at this time, all this is close to sci-fi.

I guess the new Mac is a concept for the future.
    ---
    proactive

Thumbs up

"Design" should be the realm of engineers.
    What we're seeing here is better
    referred to as "styling" and betrays
    a lack of substance.
    Back in the late 1950s, Studebaker
    came out with a fabulous, beautiful
    car, then shortly went out of business.
    under the hood, there was nothing
    impressive. It was said that GM,
    if they had chosen to, could have
    built the identical car for less money.
    Apple still has some tech advantages,
    so they should concentrate on
    technology, and try to cut costs.
    Leave the styling to the clothing business.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I don't care what my computer looks like, as long as it works. I don't like the idea of paying the extra money for a computer that looks good. Just give me a basic supertower, and I'm happy. I've never been (too) interested in those fancy cases with the windows or the fancy colors. If it houses the innards and is adequately ventilated, there's no reason to get anything else. Hell, I'd even use a plastic bag if it came down to it.

Originally posted by stflook
    I don't care what my computer looks like, as long as it works.

I have to agree. Asthetics aren't important. I have removed the cases from all my box's anyway. My "office" is a real mess. Cables, tools, cards, modems and most importantly empty beer bottles cover the floor...It's hard to even get in here some days!

So, no, I wouldn't buy a box just for appearances....

Design is important and gives a computer sometimes an everlasting "new" look.
    I got me one of those Acer Aspire's back in 1997 with emerald color. Till this day wehn people walk in my pc lab and see it they think it's one of the latest 1.4 ghz machines.
    Simply because of design.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I have to agree. Asthetics aren't important. I have removed the cases from all my box's anyway. My "office" is a real mess. Cables, tools, cards, modems and most importantly empty beer bottles cover the floor...It's hard to even get in here some days!

So, no, I wouldn't buy a box just for appearances....
    You haven't been taking lessons from me, have you? Hehe, the only 'decorating' I do is making sure nobody kills themselves when they walk into my computer area by tripping over some random computer part and hanging themselves by the cat6 that's strung across the ceiling.

I gave up on glitzy cases a long time ago.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

humbuggery
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

boxes with speciel new designs often sux... They might look oohhh soo cool (some ppl think they do) but damn it must be annoying to have to clear an intire room just to make space for one 'puter... They're very seldom practical, they're art and art is big and messy. Personnally the only speciel designs I like is transparant ones... This way u don't have to take of ur cabinet side when ur at a netparty just so ppl can see how coooool ur PC is, and it looks mean with a blue light inside to light up all the hardware... but the important thing is that the cabinet is still normal size and easy to cool. That's how everything with PCs have to be: Simpel and logical... Art is abstract and just to think that some1 wanna combine that with the power of mathematical logics is insane (why ruin something so perfect?)...
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds