Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too many bad/corupted downloads (HELP!!!)

too many bad/corupted downloads (HELP!!!)

Hello all

I need some advise here on a BIG problem.

I recently formatted my drive C:\ and re-installed windows98
    on my system. I also have a drive D:\ wich I did NOT format.
    All that is on that drive is Zipped files and not windows,
    ( I dind't think I need to install windows on both drivers just to
    have drive D:\ set up.. and yes it is working fine)

Now for the problem.....

When I download some files or programs from the internet, alot
    of them,when it's time to install them, are CORUPTED, I get a error
    message that the file is corupted or bad file transfer.

Not all downloads do this to me, but the majority of them DO .

I have ran norton anti virus utility and see No virus on my computer. ( Yes Norton is updated)

Windows is running just FINE and I have no other problems.
    ( Yes after re-installing windows i went to the micro$oft web site and updated any other drivers or security holes and so on as well.)

So can soemone tell me WHY I keep getting this problem with the
    corupted files? I have never ran into this before. Just TOO many bad downloads if you sk me....
    Corynthus

Red face Downloads

Either a bad driver or Modem...
    I would try a know good modem (new)
    Modems are cheep enough...

Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

hmmm, that sounds a bit odd, it could be one of a number of things i think, yes it could be the modem, the D drive (if thats where you put all your downloads like i do) (i have a similar setup to what u have i think). if all else fails departition and then reformat your d drive (backup ya stuff first of course) and then try it.

if that doesnt work try using a download manager such as
    go-zilla, that solved most of my download probs, do you notice that your downloads stop halfway through sometimes? that could be the problem too

hope all this rambling helps somehow

Red face Modems

I agree, It could be most anything....
    But I did have several customers computers that
    did that exact same thing and both were modems...

just my 2 cents!!!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Lightbulb

Not just the Modem I think......

If I did not mention when I extracted a few files from drive D:\ they also were corrupted. But most are the downloaded files.

When I was installing windows it kep installing the wrong drivers
    for a PCI drive ( uknown driver with the -->? Icon )

I had to remove the driver several times and reboot, but as we know after rebooting windows tries to put the SAMe stupid non-needed wrong driver BACk. But I pressed cancel and then installed the modem drivers

Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax/voice PCI card

I know I have the correct drivers for the card, for I tried all of them
    on the CD disk and installation completed successfully...

However I still get the errors. I cannot even upgrade to IE 6.0
    Bad file trasfer ( you have installed the right drivers, please try
    your download again later or click on IE60.exe blabla...

Also some of the zipped files that I already have on my Drive D:\ are now currupted??? when I unpack them to drive C:\

( I do not use drive D:\ for anything except to zip or back up files)
    I am also thinking of what someone mentioned---> Format drive D:\ and see what happens afterwards too.

( Cory is CRYING his @$$ OFf if he has to format drive D:\. For I have NO way to save all that is on there. ( 2.5 GB of zipped files)

Thanks for all the help guys...
    Corynthus

Weird... And this happens regardless of whether you use your browser or not? Have you tried the dos FTP.exe client to connect to an FTP server to download things? If you're desperate, it's probably worth it.

Just open up a dos prompt, type "ftp" hit enter, then type "open ftp://THEFTPSERVER.HERE and use dos-like commands to navigate around the directories. You can type 'help' to get a list of commands. 'Get' allows you to download from the FTP server.

I would also recommend you try out Opera if it is a browser problem.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thanks Terr.

I am in DOS now.. some of the sites that I tired do not hav a FTP server connection though . such as the Webshots web site
    ( I want my darn photoes I have uploaded there and need theire software to keep track of my files and photos, but that TOO
    gets a error when I download the darn Executable file..and yep I tried a few of their samples they asked me to try fro a first time
    setup)

Before formatting drive D:\ I will get a new modem first.
    If that fails then it's format both drivers I guess. I cannot figure this out..

For a FTP program or server i use PowerDesk Pro 4.0
    It does everything fro me from zip files, veiw files and photoes and anything else I tell it to edit or extract and so on...no problems there.. I can transfer files from IRC and MSN with no problems and they are not corupted. but from IE or Drive D:\ ??

bad file transfer or corupted file.....

Ohh.. I went to go get Go-Zilla... corupted file... WTF!!!!

( this is terrible....)
    Corynthus

So... this only happens with executable files? Other files are not corrupted? Does it ALWAYS happen with certain programs, no matter how many times you download them? Are the programs the right SIZE? In other words, does it complete the download?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Terr.

you are right with oen more thing.. ---> the file size
    I do see this error as well.. But only for the files that i extract from Drive D:\

two errors that I get from extracted files on drive D:

(1) bad file transfer
    (2) Corupted file , files size is incorrect

Yes all files that are corupted are executable files or self extracting files if I am downloading them

All drive D:\ files are also Executables with the two error message I stated above

I have even tried the options ----> open file from current location
    when selecting to download the file. I also downloaded the file to my DESKTOP and not drive D:\ to see if this was the problem as well.

but if it is a program such as mirc or eggdrop.exe or from a CD disk, I have NO problems. DCC transfers are ok too when transfering files on mIRC. ( have not tried a executable like
    Go-Zilla or webshots.exe program....

Now what do I do???

( hope someone out there can really help solve this one..)
    Corynthus

Um, this is probably dumb, but,

did you install winzip or some other zip/unzip software when you reinstalled windows?????

If you did not, a large number of files that you download, or have downloaded in the past would not be readable, because they are compressed, and you need to uncompress them.

Windows(unless you are running XP) does not have an unzip function built in.

To me, because you are having problems with current downloads, as well as previously downloaded files(which you have stated are mostly xip files) on your d drive, the most likely problem is that you have no zip software.

Please disregard this if you have tried this, but, that is all I can think that would cause the problem you seem to be describing.

IchNiSan