Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so Damn MAD GRRRR

Angry so Damn MAD GRRRR

I'm so freaking pissed....I was gonna start a Computer firm with a friend of mine and one of the things we were gonna do was security reasearch....you know the drill....find holes and report them to the software vendors...but I realised that now with the DMCA in place it's illegal to decompile software!!!!!! So where does that leave us???? SCREWED I SAY GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Did your rant make you feel better?

YOur welcome
    \"And everyone knows, that the world is full of stupid people\"

Talking Re: redsdemon

Gimmie Some Sugar Baby!

[P.S. - If you've ever seen Army of Darkness you know that line ]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Ratman, in some ways I think that policy does not iclude certain things such as testing the software for security volunbility
    ( err.. how ever you spell it...LOL)

there are so many web sites that allow you to download,test and run new software that just came out and in turn we send feedback or bugs reports to the vendor.

Your type of buisness you are refering to seems ok to do to if you ask me. But I am not sure since i have not fully read all about it.

Are you asking to start a buisness and make the companies pay you for analyzing their products? With all the BETA Testing software being shipped around I am quite sure with what you
    had planned to do is Legal in some way ins't it?
    Corynthus

Ratman2, no worries the DMCA wont last long... that damn is causing so many lawsuits that even the lawyers are getting tired of it... many ppl are fighting against the DMCA in court and some actually win... this just show how much it sux and it also shows that they can't make us slaves to their products... if u ever have doubt about what u do (if it's legal or not according to the DMCA) just keep it to urself and ask a lawyer for help if u think it ur newly found info deserves publishing. The case that probably shows best how much the DMCA sux is the DeCSS case that 2600 is fighting against the MPAA, so u see... every1 knows it sux... every1 hates it (except the megacorpses), so normally if u violate the DMCA no1 is gonna anything... but to be sure just ask permission from the firms to security test their program and promise them a full project report afterwards... their gonna love it and they just might pay A LOT OF MONEY.... hope this info helps... or did u just need to do some ranting???
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Re: so Damn MAD GRRRR

Originally posted by Ratman2
    I'm so freaking pissed....<snip> So where does that leave us???? SCREWED I SAY GRRRRRRRRRRRR
    There there, come and talk to the nice nurse

That's it, let it all out, it's much better to get things out in the open than bottle it all up, have a good rant to the rest of us, you'll feel all the better for it!!!!

Why not do it anyway, and when the Feds catch up with you you'll have a stack of free advertising and an open forum to tell the public why you were doing what you were doing?

That's if the Feds ever do catch up with you
    Call transopt: received. 9-18-99 14:32:21 REC: Log>
    WARNING: carrier anomaly
    Trace program: running

Originally posted by zion1459
    Ratman2, no worries the DMCA wont last long... that damn is causing so many lawsuits that even the lawyers are getting tired of it... many ppl are fighting against the DMCA in court and some actually win... this just show how much it sux and it also shows that they can't make us slaves to their products... if u ever have doubt about what u do (if it's legal or not according to the DMCA) just keep it to urself and ask a lawyer for help if u think it ur newly found info deserves publishing. The case that probably shows best how much the DMCA sux is the DeCSS case that 2600 is fighting against the MPAA, so u see... every1 knows it sux... every1 hates it (except the megacorpses), so normally if u violate the DMCA no1 is gonna anything... but to be sure just ask permission from the firms to security test their program and promise them a full project report afterwards... their gonna love it and they just might pay A LOT OF MONEY.... hope this info helps... or did u just need to do some ranting???
    No, we were actually gonna do research. The problem is, as I understand the STUPID DMCA, it's illegal to decompile any binary if the souce code is not freely avaiable. Now, our first project was gonna be a java program. I think that's ok because of the way Java is run (interpeted, not a compiled EXE binary).

Ratman2: Fight the power mon! u can do it...
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

To hell with the dam DMCA.when you buy a piece of software with your hard earned monies that software belongs to you to do what ever the **** you want to do with it.

If you feel like rolling around on the floor with it naked while watching the sopranos,thats your perogative.The DMCA doesn't even follow these laws so niether will I.
    everytime they come out with a bullshit law like that one or ones like the "patriot bill" I will
    break them.As for the FBI,if they come to my door they better be wearing their vests.

**** ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT !!!!!.

Firemen are the only acception to that rule,at least they have balls.

Crimina1

2 things:

1) Ratman2: Go For It!
    << You are not dead in the water. >>

a. You can find holes in software w/o having to decompile it.
    b. Despite the ruling, you can actually get agreements with some companies to decompile their software, just by asking or by virtue of selling your services, as a part of the contract.

Now: Get back out there and play the game!

2) Sorry, Crimina1, you are mistaken.

To hell with the dam DMCA.when you buy a piece of software with your hard earned monies that software belongs to you to do what ever the **** you want to do with it.
    Take a moment sometime to actually read the licensing agreement when you install something. What you have purchased is a license to use the product. It's not like purchasing a land grant or underwear. You do not have ownership of the base intellectual property that performs the magic act with which you interact.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=