Thread: MCSE or Security ?

Question MCSE or Security ?

Hi guy's. I looking for some good advice. I'm 26 and have 6 years experience in the computer feild. I completed my CNE 4 years ago, the CCNA last year and Windows 2000 MCP late last year.

I'm kinda at a crossroad. I have excellent experience in all area's but would like to start concentrating on something. I began trying to focus on security a few months now, but because of my rough work schedule I can't study both security and for the MCSE.

Is it worth trying to nail down the MCSE or would combining by current certs with a concentration on security be a better bet ?

i would appreciate your advice. Thank you

ZERO

Zero2:

Well, it is good to hear you have such a varied interest in computers. Personally, I'm more of a network/security guru myself (just finished my CCNP this past month). You really have to decide what your goals in your career are. If you would really like security, and you want to stay away from systems administration, then I'd say forget the MCSE. If you prefer sys. admin. then you should probably go with the MCSE. Though if you do host-based security in a Windows 2000 environment, it would certainly help to finish up the MCSE certification. Maybe if you gave us a list of what you like to do, we can help by giving you some advice on what to do to get focused on the stuff you want to do. Because while you seperate MCSE and security stuff, in some environments, they are very closely alligned.

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Thanks Wizeman. I work at a large company now and am the top techie there. I administer a NT 4 network with AS400 backends and Win2000 desktops. Mix all that together with a wide area network and firewalls, and you have my job description.

I like managing servers (NT, Win2k, AS400, Novell). Security is a extra chore right now. Companies in my area don't have full time Security Admins, just Sys Admins who also handle security. So were ever I go in the future it is unlikely that it would be to solely function as a Security Admin.

What I trying to say is that if I already have the Microsoft /Novell stuff downpack, does it really matter if I'm a MCSE or would CNE/CCNA/MCP/my current experience + good security experience do just as well ?

I also hope to move more into management in the next 6-8 years.
    And yes in my enviroment everything is closely aligned.

Well, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but if you really want to get into management (especially in a large corporation) it might be helpful for you to get your bachelors degree. I don't think you mentioned it thus far, so I'm going to assume you don't have one. If, however, I am mistaken and you do have one, then I'd say don't worry about the MCSE. It has lost a lot of footing as far as reputation goes because there are so many of them. As long as your Win2k experience has been non-trivial, then I wouldn't worry about adding to your certs, in which case you should probably just concentrate on nailing down a good understanding of security theory and concepts (beyond the ones you've probably picked up from working with the firewalls and host-based security).

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

... sys adm -> mgmt

It depends a lot on your organization what you should focus your time and energy on. But first and foremost, I'd say: focus on what you are most interested in.

It's hard for "techies" to swing into mgmt, so take the advise and get a degree - in administration or finance so that managers of the other depts will take you seriously. Also, start learning about the ERP and reporting facilities the executive staff and accounting department use. After all, that is the whole reason any company runs an IT or MIS department - to support the rest of the enterprise. Go roam around and watch ppl work. You can start gaining visibility for yourself by finding ways to automate and make those guys jobs easier.... often vb or perl scripting will do that. (I created a button in MS Project that made calculations and launched Excel. It got me a $2/hr raise.)

If you love MS and want to stay working with it - get the MCSE.
    If you are intrigued with security and your org has a defined security function - go for the CISSP.

I see data sec jobs for over $100,000 as often as I do for Mgmt jobs paying that and as often as I do MCSE jobs. The old adage is "do what you love...become an expert at it ... the money will follow."
    ------------------------------------

If you decide you want to get sec certified, I'm trying to get AO ppl together to work on the CISSP.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=140222
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It all depends on what you want to do. If you enjoy what you are currently doing, I would recomend going with the MCSE. It will give you a little security training. If you are looking to try something else, then think about what you want to do. There are many different options. If you think you would rather get into security, then work on that. Just remember that the security certs may not help with your current position, and you may be looking for a job elsewhere to make the cert worthwhile.

Also, there are many different securiy certs to choose from. There is the CISSP, CCNP+security, also quite a few from SANS. Look around and see what you really want to get involved in before you spend the time and money to get certified in something that you don't really care to do. As niboreon said....do what you love.

Re: MCSE or Security ?

Originally posted by zero2

I'm kinda at a crossroad. I have excellent experience in all area's but would like to start concentrating on something. I began trying to focus on security a few months now, but because of my rough work schedule I can't study both security and for the MCSE.

Is it worth trying to nail down the MCSE or would combining by current certs with a concentration on security be a better bet ?

i would appreciate your advice. Thank you

ZERO
    i think u should keep it up with networking and security and i am sure that will take u high in your carreer... just that initially u have to work litttle hard..but then in future u will definately get a smooth highway...to proceed at high speed...

intruder...