Thread: Getting through a firewall

Question Getting through a firewall

I met a man that told me it is possible to open ports on a remote computer if you can ping the computer. Well ... I need a port open and I can ping the computer but he never told me how to open or route ports. If someone out there can give me directions, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Re: Getting through a firewall

Originally posted by NeoTekAngeL
    I met a man that told me it is possible to open ports on a remote computer if you can ping the computer. Well ... I need a port open and I can ping the computer but he never told me how to open or route ports. If someone out there can give me directions, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.
    Uhm... I think he didn't know what he was talking about. Generally, in order to open a port on a computer, you have to run a program on that computer that opens and uses the port. If you can't run programs on the remote computer... You can't open a port.

Bottom line, I think he was wrong, you need a LOT more than just a ping-able computer.

And the port has to interface with the system somehow, a simple port with nobody listening on the other end won't do any good, it's like a door that opens into midair, just making the door doesn't help. You can go through it, but it isn't useful.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Exclamation

Yep. I wouldn't listen to that man for anything important. I have pingable computers that you can't get into.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member
    As has been said before - I don't think that man knew what he was talking about.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Ping uses ICMP which by its nature is insecure but if a router or firewall is set to accept a certain amount of pings its considered secure there is alot more to cracking a system than pinging ,A bit of personal advice this guy you speak of might be an excellent technician but not know much about security the best way to learn security is tutorials or books and playing with systems your self .Before i learned security i was told by a good pc analyst that unix was an unbreakable os ,I soon learned that was a Lie

Peace EviL
    Ee

If you are able to ping a node, and receive a response, then all that means is that you and the other node are both on a network or "online" and are able to communicate with each other. Ping has nothing to do with opening ports. And just out of curiousity, which port do you need open and why?