Thread: Question for *nix people

Question for *nix people

Has anyone used the solaris intel Distro.

If you have, how does it compare?

tia
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's useful if you need to be familiar with Solaris, apart from that you have better compatibility and more options with a *nix distro.

I always found Solaris to be fairly unfriendly and very unforgiving, if you just want to be *nix experienced, stick to Linux.

J.

Solaris can be a very good OS, but I definately would not use Intel, stick to Sparc.

Also, Sun is no longer going to develop Solaris on Intel.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Solaris is more for the hard-core unix people as it's generally more stable and technical than HP is. A lot of ISPs and other businesses use Solaris for this reason however the intel version from what I've seen, is fairly good. *nix is pretty much standard across the board, with directory structures and formats a bit different than any other particular vendor.

I'd stick to linux though if you're new to it though. BSD is a very unix-like clone to unix, being even more unfriendly than Solaris.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

agree with the other posts. I would add that solaris on sparc is not only more robust but does not have the idiosyncrasies of solaris on intel (hw related differences) when adding various drives etc.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

thank, you guys,

i just thought knowing it might help my career, i always see 'unix experience a must' in the want ads, and thought i might find a place for it on the network at work. ive used linux on and off for a couple of years. don't know it lke windows, cause thats the nature of the network.

thanks again for you input.

T€ÐØß1
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Post rofl this is priceless

This is too funny...yet again the masked negative-antipoints bandit has struck again with a comment 'you talk too much smartass'. Hey, points to you for leaving a comment but I don't think anything I stated in this post was derogatory or down on anything. I think it's just too funny how some of these people just have to post negative points with no relavence at all to the posts on the boards. *still laughing* Such feeble attempts, and yes, I'll still be "talking" a lot on here.

Oh...you'll find 'unix experience' in the IT field anything that can't be put under NT administration or Network administration. Unix boxes are those mysterious things that seem to run forever, and people can stumble through setups and whatnot but they want at least one person who has some experience with it to manage it. Good thing to have as it promotes job security but you're stuck forever in a position because nobody else knows it! ROFL
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.