Thread: Can anyone recommend a good NAT solution?

Can anyone recommend a good NAT solution?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a free router/proxy/NAT solution that does not involve getting another computer (I have an old one, but it can't run the DSL modem).

I'm currently using Ostitis Winproxy 3.0, 3-user version. The problem is that it conflicts with my favorite firewall, TPF.

I also run Windows 98 (first edition), and I'm preferably looking for a Network-Address-Translation package, rather than a proxy server. It is mainly to allow another computer on my home network to browse the web and send/recieve mail.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I have use Ositis WinProxy 4.0, I have switched to a Linux based solution... many many advantages...

Other WIN products I have used in the past are

- ProxyPlus, Proxy+
    - Sygate Home Network (not free but the crack is on the net)

Terr:

I assume you are using that Win 98 computer to be the gateway. I know Win 98 SE and ME have Internet Connection Sharing built in, but unfortunately, I can't find any kind of upgrade that includes ICS for First Edition. Tiny (you seem to like them) has WinRoute Lite (which unfortunately costs money, but will definitely work with TPF). I can't really find any non-proxy NAT programs for Win 98, but if you don't mind trying proxy again, I found Proksi at Downloads.com. Personally, I'd give the eval. version of Tiny Winroute Lite a try, and maybe find a crack, or even buy it, but you might also just want to try Proksi first to see if it suits your needs.

Hope it helps!!

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Other:

- Winproxy 1.5 (not from Ositis)
    - WinRoute Pro (Tiny)
    - WinRoute Lite (Tiny)

I have tried all those Windows products and none was good enough... some kept crashing after a while, other were slow as hell, windows vulnerabilities kept security critical, WinRoute Pro didn't even connect properly to my modem...
    For me the best solution was to install a little Linux box with BBIagent Linux NET4 router software (Free). At the start I had some little probs but after it ran good, it ran like a train. Actually: it's still running since then without shutdown.

I agree with Victor on this one. A lil' linux or FreeBSD box would serve you the best, unless you love crashes.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Red face Linksys

Personally I would use a Linksys Cable/DSL Router and the Basic one is only $80 at Office Max or Best Buy...
    The 4 port one is more but cheeper than an external switch.
    You will not need to depend on a gateway computer or WinProxy
    or what ever software you have....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Hm. Well, I do have a 486 lying about, but I don't really have the room to set it up, nor does said computer have a USB jack... which is what my here-you-go-now-give-us-lots-of-money-for-tiny-neat-things DSL modem uses.

Oy vey. Winproxy 3 crashes if you don't know what not to do, but by this time I've got it pretty tamed. It's not a crash issue or stability issue, per se, just that when I use Tiny, for some reason, Winproxy can't see my 90.0.0.1 internal self-assigned IP address. It just won't select it from the internal address drop-down list. <shrug>
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Terr
    Oy vey. Winproxy 3 crashes if you don't know what not to do, but by this time I've got it pretty tamed. It's not a crash issue or stability issue, per se, just that when I use Tiny, for some reason, Winproxy can't see my 90.0.0.1 internal self-assigned IP address. It just won't select it from the internal address drop-down list. <shrug>
    I've got the same problem with the Tiny and the NAT built into win2k RRAS. Tiny just doesn't get along with that kind of thing I guess, which I suppose is understandable, it's not really designed for anything but a single computer connected to the internet.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.