Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hack This ?

i think we need to come up with a new way to classify programers. "hacker" "cracker" "whitehat" "blackhat" "L33T" "lam3r" "script kiddie"....ect, is getting a bit confusing.
    Personally I think of myself as "Code Poet" and think white hats are for golfers
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I would consider a program who can read undocumented, uncommented code, writen by someone they don't know, and understand how and why the program works the way it does. Anyone can pick up "Learn C in 24 hours" and write a simple program. It is a lot more difficult to pick up the source code to Linux Kernal 2.4.12, and find a problem in the usb drivers.

valhallen> I think your nutshell comparison is wrong. The virus/trojan writer is not the parent. The parent is. The programmer would be more alonog the lines of Ruger or Smith & Wesson, the manufactures. The 12 year old kid only has internet access because its parents allow him/her to. If the parents don't pay attention, then the kid can do whatever (s)he wants. A good parent will supervise their kid with the loaded gun.

[nutshell] I can buy a gun for hunting, and you can buy one to shoot the guy across the street. I can download nessus to do a security audit on my company, and you can downlad it to do a security audit on your next target.[/nutshell]
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Soulman -

I don't think most virii or many torjans have legitmate applications, like a gun would. Think of them more as illegal drug lab guys. They make an illict product that is dangerous to the end user/victim, but they are not putting a gun to anyones head to use em... Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but still most "black hat" seem to me to be unethical...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Our government used to (and might still) pay guys to make illegal drugs. I will admit most virii don't have legitmate applications. Now most trojans...thats a different story. What is the difference between sub7 and vnc? They are both free to download. They both allow you to look at the screen of the remote computer. They both allow you complete access to remote computer. Yes, sub7 has a bunch of extra bs built in, I will admit. VNC runs off the taskbar, while sub7 hides itself in the background. The MAIN difference is that VNC is a remote administration tool where sub7 is a trojan. So......
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Q: is a program the same as a hacker?
    A: No, Due to the media using the term hacker in a negative way I don't think its fair to call programmers hackers.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

where can you download sub7 & vn?

Originally posted here by guss
    where can you download sub7 & vn?
    Noones done it yet so I might as well.

1]AO is for security not for helping people use skript kiddie progs to get themselves arrested.
    2]www.google.com
    3]This was not a thread started to help people get ahold of sub7 it was started to help clear up a misunderstanding.
    4]This is not a flame but with many more questions like that you will soon know what a flame is.
    5]Do a forum search for the words: lame, script kiddie, flame, and sub7
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

Only 3 kinds of people I know of-

1) Whitehat: one who uses their knowledge of technology for the better...(broad range)
    2) Blackhat: one who uses their knowledge of technology to piss people off and obtin their own amusement
    3) The Others (Lamer): one who doesn't know sh|t about true technology

Banned

errrrm

Well this ins my first post in a VERY long time, i broke my 69 # of posts and went on to 70

St|\t|c , to what u say, that is not true, people can be in between, just cus you dont use your knowlage to help nor harm doesnt make you a lamer...... I dont really sit there and e-mail an admin if there is something wrong w. their box..... or i havent yet.... but i also dont harm it. I think there are alot of different levels as to "White Hat" "Black Hat" and all those others.

Souleman , i agree w. what you are saying, if i write a remote administration tool, or even a trojan its for me not for other people, im no lamer, but if someone uses it to do things that i didnt intend it to do then they are the lamer. btw soule your post # is 420
    Where u been lately havent seen u on the IRC

All hackers know programming and Not all programmers know hacking.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.