Thread: Programming: just starting... Please help...

Question Programming: just starting... Please help...

Hi…
    Please help me…
    I am a college student in the 11th grade. And I want to learn programming… I don’t need to hack or crack, just to learn C++ or other programs like it… My experience in computer science is not so great… I know only Pascal (but I can say I know it pretty good)…
    I’m interested in finding out how and where to find good tutorials and people who would be interested in helping me… Plus I would appreciate some suggestions like what kind of programming languages should I learn, which one first and other things like that…

Thanks!

OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Well, I can't say I could recommend any books, as all the books I've ever seen on the topics are either above beginner level, or just plain suck! Personally, I'd say take a class in it. I have found that C/C++ is quite unlike any other programming language (though I've never used Pascal, though I'd imagine it is quite a bit different). Furthermore, I found it semi-difficult to understand the concept of pointers and memory management, not to mention much of the theory that goes into data structure creation. If you REALLY don't want to take a class, then I'd get a "Learn C++ in 21 days (thanks for the heads up, STFlook)" book and come in here and ask questions that you may have. Again, I emphasize that you should really take a class.

You say you are a college student, in 11th grade?! What exactly does that mean? If you have access to college level C/C++ classes, definitely take advantage of them.

I will certainly help you if you have detailed questions (not what is a pointer, or why did I just get this seg. fault in my code). I have a small tutorial about pointers: here.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Well, I'm not so sure you can get a book on C++ in the 24 hours series, but you can find them in the 21 days series, as C++ isn't exactly HTML. It's quite a bit harder. I have a book on C for Linux from the 21 days series, and it's really good. It makes everyting pretty easy to understand, and if you're the kind that likes to cut the crap and get straight to the meat of it, the book makes that easy too. I have a book on HTML from the 24 hours series, and because it allowed me to cut straight to the meat of it, I taught myself in about an hour, maybe less. But then again, HTML is really simple (tags....ooooooh). I think you will find C++ to be a little bit harder.

This is an <u>excellent</u> C++ book for beginners:

http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/p...824701,00.html

This is an excellent C++ book for beginners:

http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/p...824701,00.html

I found this really useful when I was first learning C++. Plus the first link that I already pasted (just above) is the complete "Learn C++ in 21 Days" which is also quite good, lot's of examples. Hope this helps =).