Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .pwl hacking

Originally posted by DreamWeaver
    I have Cain + Abel, but whenever i start the attack on the .pwl from cain, itll tell me how long the password is (5 chars) but it wont tell me what it is.. :Confused:

~DW~

Ok DW...here's the deal. It will (the first few minutes) tell you how long the password is. Then (almost just like the movies) ...it begins to (slowly) crack the password... like if the password is: password. This is what Cain will show (Obviously in the GUI)
    • 8 Characters long
    • passwora <-- incorrect
    • passworb <-- incorrect
    • passworc <-- incorrect
    • password <-- correct

When it finally gets the right combination it will prompt you and tell you that it has found the password. This can vary in time depending on the amount of RAM you have installed - and the program itself. Small RAM and old version equal long time to wait. Ante-up the both of them and you've got yourself a winning PW by the end of the day.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Well, in order to get rid of PWL files, you can either have a batch file run at every startup, or you can disable the caching through the registry...

But remember! If you do this then you won't be able to save passwords for your ISP or for some Internet Explorer features! You'll have to remember them and enter them each time.

Check out This page for information on disabling the caching in 98/95. (You need your OS disk.)

As for XP, I don't use it. I doubt it uses the same system.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by [WebCarnage]

Ok DW...here's the deal. It will (the first few minutes) tell you how long the password is. Then (almost just like the movies) ...it begins to (slowly) crack the password... like if the password is: password. This is what Cain will show (Obviously in the GUI)
    • 8 Characters long
    • passwora <-- incorrect
    • passworb <-- incorrect
    • passworc <-- incorrect
    • password <-- correct

When it finally gets the right combination it will prompt you and tell you that it has found the password. This can vary in time depending on the amount of RAM you have installed - and the program itself. Small RAM and old version equal long time to wait. Ante-up the both of them and you've got yourself a winning PW by the end of the day.

Hmph. I guess that makes sense =) The old version, instead of telling you the number of characters its trying, it tells you "Brute force attack" or "Dictionary attack" so atleast you know whats going on. I like that better than somethin stuck at "5 chars" which usually slowly increments to 8 chars.
    Maybe im just anal.

Thanks for the help all,
    ~DW~

Re: DreamWeaver

Hmph. I guess that makes sense =) The old version, instead of telling you the number of characters its trying, it tells you "Brute force attack" or "Dictionary attack" so atleast you know whats going on. I like that better than somethin stuck at "5 chars" which usually slowly increments to 8 chars.
    Maybe im just anal.
    Yet, notice how I said in it's own GUI (Graphical User Interface). So it's not going to show you every password it's going to try at the moment, on the spot. As I recal (back in the "9x day's...*), I don't think it even shows you any passwords. Although (I think) it gives you a 'dictionary'. Yet just let it run...if it tells you it's gotten the number of characters just leave it be. It could find out it was wrong and add/subtract a few later on. Just set it and leave it in the bg(background).

Good luck.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Wink try this

you might be interested in this

Program Archive Name:
    accmen.zip
    Program Name/Title:
    Access Manager for Windows
    Program Version:
    Program Release Date:
    June 8, 2001
    Program Description:
    Protect your privacy and control access to your PC
    Target OS:
    Windows 95/98/ME
    Software type:
    Shareware ($25, Discounts)

Program home page:
    http://www.softstack.com/accmen.html

Author information
    -------------------

Author:
    Kirill Vasilev
    Contact WWW URL:
    http://www.softstack.com

Description
    -----------

Access Manager for Windows allows you to restrict access to key features of
    Windows, such as Control Panel, Start Menu, Network, Taskbar, Desktop, System
    Tray, Network Access Control Page. It also enables to control Internet usage,
    disable the Ctrl+alt+delete keys and the function keys at startup, allows to
    password protect Windows and restrict users to running specific applications
    only, forbid Internet Access, view statistics of computer use by your kids or
    employees and loads more. This program can lock your PC and ask for a password
    when Windows loads. Access Manager for Windows is just the thing for keeping
    employees , students or children from coming in and fiddling around with the
    computers. It has all the needed features to keep people from viewing or
    changing what you do not want them too. Every network administrator should get
    this nice security program!
    my stove is hooked to the internet?

Exclamation A funny thing just happened!

Your post got me to thinking about win95/98 passwrds. So, I did a search on packetstormsecurity site and came up with this (querry "passwords"):

"ShowPass 1.0"
    ShowPass 1.0 - like dripper - dial up password ripper for Windows. With this program you can find every password in a machine! "*" shadowed passwords, dialup passwords and cached passwords are on your hire. It's like a combination of Dripper, Revolution and Pwlview. Program supports both English and Turkish. Homepagehere. By Misoskian

I downloaded, I then ran norton on it and it found this:

PWsteal.trojan

Ha! Hmmm..was it infected to steal and send...or is this how it opens the pwl files and shows them to me??? Well, Im leaving it alone..I don't want to find out!
    my stove is hooked to the internet?