Thread: More OPenBSD Questions

Antionline Herpetologist

More OpenBSD Questions

First of all, thanks to all those guys who replied to my first post.
    Thanks to you guys the install went off smoothly. But there's still a problem. The bloody thing won't boot! I'm still able to boot WinXP Pro, but OpenBSD refuses to boot up. I tried a couple of things to get it to work. Here they are in order:
    First, my partition structure
    1. Windows Fat32 Primary 10gb
    2. Windows Fat32 Extended 5 GB
    3. The remaining 4 GB is divided into a 514mb swap (partition no. 4)and the remaining (partition no.3) is under FFS (mount point /)

You'll need a floppy with free space on it. Mount the floppy using the mount_msdos command like so.

# mount_msdos /mnt /dev/fd0c

In OpenBSD, there is no /boot/boot1 equivalent. Thus we'll have to create one manually. Luckily this is simple and straightforward.

# dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/mnt/open.bsd bs=512 count=1

Once completed, reboot into Windows using

# umount /mnt; shutdown -r now

and copy "open.bsd" to where boot.ini and ntldr are located. Edit your boot.ini to include the line cpen.bsd="OpenBSD". Reboot and you'll have a choice.
    What happens here is that the XP boot menu does give me a choice, but on selecting it, the system just reboots.

Then, I tried intalling OS-BS. I told it to give me a choice between WinXP Pro(partition 1) and OpenBSD(partition 3) but it just says no OS when I select partition 3.

Then I tried installing BootEasy. Same problem.

The files on wd0a(the OpenBSD partition) do exist because when I boot from the Install floppy, go to the shell and say:
    mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
    It is successful and a ls /mnt shows all the files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    cgkanchi

Senior since the 3 dot era
    at the first glance I see 2 things:
    (not sure)

1) there's a prob with the Linux Loader in your superblock (boot sector), eg the first sectors of your *nix boot partition.

2) I think that OpenBSD also has the 1024 cylinder limitations cause it's a BIOS error, not an OS error.
    OpenBSD will probably see your drive with a different geometry depending on how the BIOS sees it. This thing can cause the fact that lilo thinks BSD is in a certain cylinder while OpenBSD thinks it's in another cylinder.

I think that OpenBSD also has the 1024 cylinder limitations cause it's a BIOS error, not an OS error.

I would have to agree. It sounds like Bios error.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: cgkanchi

MultiBoot - OpenBSD and FAT/NTFS Windows

Take a look at this site ttp://www.nomoa.com/bsd/dualboot.htm
    (did I mentioned this url already?)