Thread: Novell - Netware 5

Novell - Netware 5

Does anyone here know how to encrypt a Directory and it's sub-files on a NetWare 5 server? (without the use of a thrid-party product)
    The Novell webpage has so far proved to be useless.

Thanks
    DjM

I have not heard or found something about disk and file encryption of traditional volumes neither nss volumes. But I have a memory about a discussion at a nightware seminar last year that it's a feature to come, but I'm maybe wrong and I don't know much about the new features in netware 6.

But what I know so far you have to rely on netwares auth system and the clients disk/file encryption. Maybe there are some third party products for netware you can use?

Cool

Novell Cryptography Support Modules are implemented with the Novell International Cryptographic Infrastructure (NICI) technology. By downloading and installing the appropriate module, you enable NICI-based components (Novell Certificate Serverâ„¢, Novell SSL, Novell Single Sign-on, etc.) to use an appropriate level of cryptography. This includes the use of unlimited strength cryptography or up to 56-bit DES/RC2/RC4 data encryption and 1024-bit RSA* key management strength for worldwide users (where allowed by local law). Which means you need a 3rd party program to enable it.. but the program is provided by Novell..

I just read the exact same paragraph HERE ..

Only being new here I don't want to cause any trouble but I was wondering if you have to give credit to the source or if you can just "cut and paste"??? Once again, I dont want to cause any trouble and this is a legitimate newbie question...
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"

Cool

hmm i really dont see any reason why i have to... i mean like..
    even if i put it in my own words i would have probably more likely to write it the exact way as it was in the post.. a little attribute of having a neumonic memory...

Cool

had problems on one of my netware 5 servers with this NICI piece. It is a bit of a resource hog and I enventually disabled it - preferring to use an inhouse program to encrypt....

good luck anyway.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.