Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social Engineering: Part I

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

social engineering

There are many definations of "hacking." If you consider hacking to be using one computer to gain access to another computer, then social engineering isn't hacking. That is not what most people consider hacking. To most people, it is unauthorized access to a computer system. In that case, social engineering is a means to an end. And it doesn't always include lying. I have gotten necessary network infromation from teachers that gave me access to certain computers on campus without ever lying to the teacher.

You could also go to a broader sence of the terms. Hacking "used" to be doing something in a way that was not normally done or had never been done before. If your muffler comes off your car, and you put it back with a coat hanger, you have "hacked" it together. The ARPA net was originally a big hack job. So was ENIAC. The point is, there are many forms of hacking. Therefor, there are many forms of Social Engineering. It is simply a term used for getting information from a person that you wouldn't normally be given. It doesn't necessarily mean that you lie to get it, although that is a possibility, it just means that you get it. And you get it from a person, not a computer.

Banned

Do you really think that this post deserves to be in the tutorials forum remote access? First of all, you didnt even write it. Im not saying that a tutorial posted here has to be written by the person making the post, but most of the time it is. Second do you really feel it a good idea to tutor someone on how to access information through deceit here on security forums? Finally it seems to me that many members of AntiOnline have been posting to the tutorials forum with hopes of getting higher amounts of Antipoints. I cant see a reason behind this post other than this. Hate me for my comments, I really dont care.

Do you really think that this post deserves to be in the tutorials forum remote access?
    - Yup

First of all, you didnt even write it.
    - FIRST OF ALL, I've acknowledged that and hopefuly everyone that read it did too. I even gave you a link to the author's site! No, I didn't write it, whoopty whooo. It's there for ppl to read and I for one thought it was a damn good one. When's the last time YOU posted something to help some one else?

Im not saying that a tutorial posted here has to be written by the person making the post, but...
    - BUT nothin' jackass. That's exacally what you're saying.

Second do you really feel it a good idea to tutor someone on how to access information through deceit here on security forums?
    - SECOND OF ALL, yes I do. Don't you think ppl need to be educated to prevent this form of "h4x0ring"?

Finally it seems to me that many members of AntiOnline have been posting to the tutorials forum with hopes of getting higher amounts of Antipoints. I cant see a reason behind this post other than this. Hate me for my comments, I really dont care.
    - I don't post tutorials for points although I do recive them for HELPING PEOPLE.. but that's irrelevant. Were you hopeing that you would recieve a pat on the back or somthing for pointing that out? Do you want some points? I don't hate you for your comments, I hate you for your ignorance and stupidity.

Remote_Access_

Engo's beware

I don't doubt the validity of the meaning of the term social Engineering in this context, and I found the article to be quite interesting but it seem like a silly term to use in the first place. Social engineering has other meanings that actual make more sense then the one in this case. Using it apparently is not incorrect but it can definatley be ambigious.

It's like they're trying to hype the concept like the old y2kok campaign.

Regal Making Handler
    Thanks for the advanced lesson in spying
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry