Thread: Boot Protection

Boot Protection

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm having problems with people booting me from my chat programs. I have downloaded Yahoo and MSN messenger but my main problem is with Yahoo. When I go into the Yahoo chat rooms and someone comes in there to boot people, I get the big KAPOW!!! What I'm looking for is a program, that I can download, that will keep this from happening to me. I read some of the things that JP has written on here and followed his advice on one thing and that was "The Cleaner". I downloaded that program yesterday and it detected a trojan in my system and cleaned it out (Thanks JP) but I am still looking for a good boot protection program. I would sure appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks so much,
    Nicelady

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hello,
    Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I'm having problems with people booting me from my chat programs. I have downloaded Yahoo and MSN messenger but my main problem is with Yahoo. When I go into the Yahoo chat rooms and someone comes in there to boot people, I get the big KAPOW!!! What I'm looking for is a program, that I can download, that will keep this from happening to me. I read some of the things that JP has written on here and followed his advice on one thing and that was "The Cleaner". I downloaded that program yesterday and it detected a trojan in my system and cleaned it out (Thanks JP) but I am still looking for a good boot protection program. I would sure appreciate any feedback.
    As far as I know, getting booted from chat programs would mean that (as already found) someone's had something on your machine that allowed them remote access to your machine. This is a Very Bad Thing. I would recommend doing the following:

1. download zonealarm from www.zonelabs.com and set it up so that only programs you're aware of are accessing the internet and nothing's coming in that you're not aware of. They've got a great documentation page here on programs accessing the net, etc etc. You'll also have a lot more control and see just "what goes on in the background".

2. Trash MSN and Yahoo and get Trillian from www.ceruleanstudios.com . You won't regret it as it's a better product that allows IRC/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/AIM interaction all on one program that's less of an install than any of the others, has 128-bit blowfish encryption for other Trillian clients (aka if you send me a message on trillian and I'm on trillian, we can secureIM and have encrypted conversation).

3. Get a registry cleaner from www.download.com so that you get out everything that doesn't belong in the registry. There's several free ones that're good.

Doing all this will help you on your path for boot-free trouble-free better-than-ever internet times...while other problems will arise (as they always do), at least you won't have to worry about backdoors, trojans, virii, and other crap. Now if we can only do something about those end-lusers...

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much,
    You're welcome so much.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

What a lil' helper....Vorlin.

Concise, to the point. Even good advice. Couldn't have done better myself.

I'd just give you a bunch of greenies but it says I need to spread them around first before I can give anymore to you.

I'd take his advice Nicelady.

P.S. In case you haven't guessed I'm feeling a bit goofy today. Probably because of that all too serious discussion on John Walker yesterday. Sorry if this is out of turn.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Senior since the 3 dot era

Post Re:

Addition to Vorlin's post;

Nicelady do point 1) , 2) and 3) from Vorlin's post, and add my point 4)

4) Install a good virusscanner and keep it up to date. (for instance Norton Antivirus, Panda, McAfee)

Senior since the 3 dot era

User priviliges

Sorry that I post again and do not edit the above one but it's entirly different.

I'am wondering in the case NiceLady uses an NT4.0 or Win2K pro box she could not simply create a user with lot's of permissions except booting the machine, log in with that one whenever she want's to use the chats and switch users when she has to shutdown?
    I do not know if this works? Perhaps those trojans have system or admin priviliges?