Thread: email quirk

Question email quirk

I use Earthlink DSL, just the other day a few people from my adress book ( not all of them ) got five emails from me...they all had the same attachment. The attachment was called skincream.mpg and the subject was "A french commercial" I did not send these emails out. ... About two months ago, I remember getting that attachment, I watched it, it was funny, I sent it out to some people from my adress book, then deleted the file from my computer. I updated Norton and ran it, it didn't catch anything. I was under the impression that viruses don't come in movies, songs, images...etc. Also, I thought a virus would send out to everyone in my adress book once, not a few people in my adress book five times. Can anybody give me an answer to what happened? Thank you...
    Victor Serge said, \"I followed his argument With the blank uneasiness which one might feel In the presence of a logical lunatic. --Wallace Stevens

Possibly the mail got caught in Earthlinks spool? Was it the same people that recieved it 5 times that you originally sent it to, or was it completely different?

Anywho I wouldn't be troubled it by it much if you've scanned and you came up clean.

However, be on the look out for the fluffybunnies, they're killers!!

Crazy............Babies..........sorry, singin to myself.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Re: email quirk

Originally posted by temp131
    I was under the impression that viruses don't come in movies, songs, images...etc.

You're right. Although virus writers pray on peoples stupidity and sometimes add an extension to media files. For an example have a look at the worm known as "Love Letter"...

OOROTOQ.GIF.vbs
    NOFIH.GIF.vbs

The writer tried to hide as a gif file. But anyone with an ounce of PC knowledge wouldn't click on something that ended with .vbs.

If you were infected with a type of worm it wouldn't send the mpeg anyway. It would just forward itself...

Originally posted by KorpDeath
    Possibly the mail got caught in Earthlinks spool?

I'd have to agree with Korpdeath....

Also, the latest worm doing the rounds is the I Worm.Gigger. For those people who still persist with using Outlook have a look for the following changes to your system-

C:\Bla.hta
    C:\B.htm
    C:\Windows\Samples\Wsh\Charts.js
    C:\Windows\Help\Mmsn_offline.htm

And these registry keys-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\thegrave\badusers\v2.0
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"