Thread: Has anyone else had this problem?

Question Has anyone else had this problem?

Every time I try to upgrade to directx 8 my system crashes and I cant access windows because it keeps trying to finish setting up during the startup and just freezes. Is it just that they are not compatible? I need it to run my DVD driver. Is this a fluke or just a compatibility problem? By the way I would use Linux except that it won't load to my PC, possibly due to my AMD chip, which sucks! Not that it would solve the problem, but that's why I'm stuck running this $hitty OS. Any Ideas, I'm tired of reinstalling windows.
    sandwich.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    When you chose to update your DirectX components it does says that it could corrupt your system and that you can not remove it... today you proved that this statement is true...

For Windows and Dirext8: they are compatible or at least should be

If problems resist try another version, like 8.0a or something similar...?

Well there are a few things you should do if you're running into directx problems.

First - change your display adapter back to Standard VGA display adapter
    Second - re-install your video drivers and put it to 640x480 256 colors.
    Third - re-install directx
    Last - change your vid resolution to whatever you want after that.

Directx sometimes has serious problems if you try to install while running third party vid drivers at either high resolution or high color, or, of course, both.

Let me know if that works.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Re: Has anyone else had this problem?

Originally posted by CyberB0b
    Every time I try to upgrade to directx 8 my system crashes and I cant access windows because it keeps trying to finish setting up during the startup and just freezes.

Good old Micro$oft!

I get the EXACT same error when trying to download any upgrade from the Micro$oft site. It works fine for any of the critical update patches but just simple things like IE6 and it refuses to install and won't reboot....I've given up now.
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"