Thread: HUB or switch

HUB or switch

hi guys

I'm here with another newbie question for u Our home LAN (4 computers and one server) is now connected using BNC. We'd like to change it to TP connection. My question is if we should buy HUB or switch. (I don't know what is the difference between these two things...) So if anyone knows...

Thank you very much for all answers...

What are your goals?

hub and switches both will do but if you want to have generally faster throughput get a switch. (be sure your nics are set to right speed or you'll forego performance)

Hubs are super cheep. diffs are bcast domain and traffic degradation due to traffic out all ports. If you want to do sniffing get a hub.

switch keeps table on who is to be found where and sends traffic host to host. chk on backplane speed and port guarantee rate.

there's more but gotta go.

good luck
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

A hub will satisfy all the needs you've indicated and is much cheaper than a switch.
    A switch is much faster than a hub and is usually needed in high volume networks.

T€ÐØß1
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Senior since the 3 dot era
    If you are planning to organise some LAN parties you better go for the switch... if you only use your network for print/websurfing/little file access : go for the hub.

If you can't switch it, pitch it!

There are very few reasons these days to use a hub. Cheapp isn't an excuse anymore, cause there are some REALLY inexpensive switches out there.

Why a switch, because you can, that's why.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

For those out there with a 10Mb internet connection and a lan, get the switch. Why is this? Well a hub runs at a "set speed", that means either 10 or 100Mb, a switch can run both at the same time.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

SWITCH is much better

between a Ferrari and a Fiat choose always ferrari
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.