Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Talent

Looking for Talent

A friend and I are gonna start a computer security firm... I wonder if there's any programmers over here that would be interested in helping us research security holes on a voluntary basis??

Nobody????

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    If you're looking for programmers to research security holes, you're basically asking for them to look through opensource for bugs and whatnot. If it's closed-source, it's a lot more difficult because the bugs have to be found through trial and error, and that's with dedicated people pounding the crap out of them. Not something I'd like to do (like with IE or something). Not to mention, you'd have to have some kind of OK from said company for trying to break/reverse-engineer their program/product. It's not a bad idea, but it's definitely not something that's easy to undertake. I would hazard a guess that you're better off creating a 'tiger team' where you're hired to break into a place and find the vulnerabilities of a said company, etc.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Re: Ratman

If you're looking for programmers to research security holes, you're basically asking for them to look through opensource for bugs and whatnot. If it's closed-source, it's a lot more difficult because the bugs have to be found through trial and error, and that's with dedicated people pounding the crap out of them. Not something I'd like to do (like with IE or something). Not to mention, you'd have to have some kind of OK from said company for trying to break/reverse-engineer their program/product. It's not a bad idea, but it's definitely not something that's easy to undertake. I would hazard a guess that you're better off creating a 'tiger team' where you're hired to break into a place and find the vulnerabilities of a said company, etc.
    Just remember, Ratman2, that if you ever break/reverse engineer something, make sure you have the proper rights to the program if it's closed-source. Or else the company is going to slam you hard for it. But I doubt big companies (such as Microsoft) will allow you to unless you do it without getting paid by them or something of the sort. And also, you have to check with your partner to see if you will center on a certain operating system such as Windows(which version?) or Linux (which distro?). Maybe all? Also, try and see what 'genere' of computing you'll focus on. Wheather it be internet related, or program related (example: Firewall is to Internet as Adaware is to Software...well you get the picture ).
    Now, I wouldn't be interested in joining...BUT, see if you can get a [good] friend who HTML's and set up a website; or just do it yourself. Make sure it looks something professional - just because. Make a link for people who are willing to join. Then make/place ad's .
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Hey Ratman2, I would love to help you out in some of my free time i think that would be cool! let me know the details and everything

\"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Originally posted by [WebCarnage]

Just remember, Ratman2, that if you ever break/reverse engineer something, make sure you have the proper rights to the program if it's closed-source. Or else the company is going to slam you hard for it. But I doubt big companies (such as Microsoft) will allow you to unless you do it without getting paid by them or something of the sort. And also, you have to check with your partner to see if you will center on a certain operating system such as Windows(which version?) or Linux (which distro?). Maybe all? Also, try and see what 'genere' of computing you'll focus on. Wheather it be internet related, or program related (example: Firewall is to Internet as Adaware is to Software...well you get the picture ).
    Now, I wouldn't be interested in joining...BUT, see if you can get a [good] friend who HTML's and set up a website; or just do it yourself. Make sure it looks something professional - just because. Make a link for people who are willing to join. Then make/place ad's .
    You and Vorlin have just mentioned the BIG problem. We would be working with open AND closed source software...the DMCA is a special PITA... .... I like the idea of the Tiger Team, in fact, when we planned this nearly 3 years ago that was what we were going to start out doing in the computer security division. Problem is I live in Connecticut and my partner is in Florida and we fear the traditional problems in getting a business started. We had come up with the reasearch idea in the hopes of promoting our mame and establishing our reputation. This would allow us to get into the Tiger Team type of work easier and lessen the risks...as for the Website my partner DESIGNS websites so that's no problem there. I've got a box with a bad HD that I need to get fixed (waiting for the HD to come in) and then we'll get started working on finishing it . Protocool and linuxcommado...watch this thread, we'll be in touch TIA you guys

Thumbs up

Damn good Idea. I think that is such a good idea. 3rd party security teams are going to be big in the next few years. I Would personally love to be involved in any such program.

I will help u out

I will give you guys a hand in helping you get started or assistance Someone once helped me get my company started so I am willing to give you a hand likewise I currently run a tiger team as well as other things. take a look at my webpage and get back to me if I can assist you in any way.My Website
    Who would Trust their Security to a Penguin?
    \"Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost
    any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and
    hand guns.\"

Unhappy Dealing with DMCA legal BULLSHIT

The problem we have right now is dealing with the DMCA and its "anti-reverse engineer" clause. The way I understand it the very type of research we want to do is Illlegal under the DMCA

Stay Tuned....