View Poll Results: Do you think that you will be usin the IRC server on AO?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure ill give it a try and come on!

1 6.25%
  • No, i am not interested in usin the AO irc server

2 12.50%
  • I am already a user of the IRC server for AO and i rawk

13 81.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who use cablemodems(good news)

For those of you who use cablemodems(good news)

Unfortunately I can't get any other type of service so I'm tuck. But I have to admit it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Being a cable puke ain't too rough.

http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=629379
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm on cable, and it SUCKS. My provider overdistributed, cutting everybody's bandwidth down to less than dial-up speeds, and they're STILL ADVERTISING! The township has been on them several times about it, but to no avail. I hate that whole shared bandwidth thing now. First chance I get, I'm going over to DSL. I would not recommend cable to anybody.

I haven't had any problems with my cable connection. I love it. I originally wanted to get DSL because of the whole shared bandwidth thing, and it wasn't available in my area. I ended up getting cable, and it is great.

I guess that all depends on your area though. My town isn't exactly the most technical advanced, and half the people probably don't even know what a cable connection is. I guess I just lucked out. :-)

Oh Yea, and for those that are looking into a cable or DSL provider, take a look at www.dslreports.com. They have some great reviews there, and people in your area might've posted their reviews about a service.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Banned
    Can someone explain the concept of DS3 and what makes it different from cable/dsl modems.

Unhappy

****ing Verzion sucks dick! I mean they really do!!! They'll screw you over big time, like Al Goldstein does to p0rn stars.

As for that, I'm upgrading my service to business class DSL, from covad. I'm getting the bandwidth that I pay for, not best efforts by the cable/telco companies.

As for DS3, IT'S 27 T1 LINES HOOKED UP TOGEHTER!!!

i'm on cable here and at home...and have had great results

just did a dslreport speed test from work

** Speed 1764(down)/255(up) kbps **
    (At least 35 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Finish.

it's good to remember that dsl speeds degrade the further you get from the switch node...so it's not always great either...

and at least where i am cable is available everywhere...dsl is only in some areas...with long waiting lists...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I've had both cable and DSL. When I lived in Philadelphia I would call comcast and ask for a cable modem for 3 years they told me it was coming in the fall. Verizon hooked me up with a DSL (my company paid for it I thought it was great). I switched jobs moved to Portland, OR and now have a cable modem which in my opinion is much faster then the DSL every was. The only draw back to cable is I find I have to physicall unplug the power line to the modem every couple of days or my speed drops to 56 to 156 kbps (reboot through the surge protector does not have the same effect -go figure).

-D

Someone seems to have given me balance points on my last post, with the following comment:

"If you don't fully understand the shared bandwidth thing you might want to read up on it. It would take such an unbelievably large amount of people in one area to slow it down. I don't think you realize the capability of cable modems."

Let me assure you that I DO fully understand the whole shared bandwidth thing. They overdistributed to a ridiculous extent, and had to get lines from outside providers. At this point, we were getting about 200K-300K. We were paying for 768K. Suddenly, one of their outside providers went under. This dropped us down to about 9600, which would be bad even by AOL standards. I DO realize the capability of cable modems. I know overdistribution when I see it. Believe me, they overdistributed that bad. They even admitted it.

UN-help desk

Over that past few months, I've had to 'trouble shoot' Cable modem installations. Seems the Cable 'HELP' desks don't supply much assistance.

One was an office on Cable. Before the (un) help desk finished: they had the clients entire network disconnected.

Three were identical. Seems the local Cable company changed the name of their mail server, but didn't tell the clients. The (un) help desk told the clients 'It's because of the way your computer is setup. Change the mail server name to ......'

One had the client re-format his hard drive, and insisted that cable service ONLY worked with the '@home' software. 'Don't even think of running that 'thing' called Linux'

Thumbs up Cable Comments

I have a business Charter cable connection. Set behind a Linksys router with a Winblows 2000 Server with an 8 port Linksys switch. I got lucky. Its in a newly developed area and so far I get great bandwidth. It stays consistantly in the T-1 range. At times all of the computers on the LAN are downloading or working online with no slowdowns or bottlenecks. They actualy post the scheduled down times with few incidental disruptions. I have heard some horror stories about Charter. However this faction of Charter (chartertn.net) has been an excellent provider with great tech suuport 24/7. The most i've had to wait is less than 5 minutes. They even allow you to setup your own equipment without there software. They just run the line and give you the gateway and dns ip's. So, no complaints so far, knock on wood. Just my $.2.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.