Thread: AVG and Windows XP

Post AVG and Windows XP

This is one of the strangest things I've seen.....

I got my hands on a copy of XP Pro and installed the upgrade over Win ME. The install went fine and XP advised me during the install that a few drivers will need to be re installed and that the freeware antivirus AVG will have to be reinstalled also. No problem...

I installed the new drivers for the sound card and printer amongst other things and then downloaded AVG...Here's where it gets strange. Whilst running Win ME I had a "cookie cleaner" called System Cleaner.. The usual crappy TEMP/cookie/History cleaner. This was some months back and had since been un installed and all traces of it removed....

After double clicking the AVG.exe file you're greeted with the usual install wizard and asked to accept the licence. After clicking yes the install begins. Instead of installing AVG it starts to install System Cleaner! Like I said, there is NO trace of System Cleaner left on my hard drive.

This has got me rather confused. If anyone has an explanation for this I'd be forever grateful....
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"

has happened to me a couple of times too...

i'd look at a temp file issue...sometimes installs leave their install directories hangin around even after uninstall...

if your software is lookin in a temp directory for a file called setup.exe...it might be the old program setup file and not the new one...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

That's what I thought as well.

But I run Evidence Eliminator to ensure that all of those directories are constantly emptied and than check the temp files manually....All temp folders are empty...
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"