View Poll Results: what connection do you prefer to hookup to the internet with?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phone line

0 0%
  • ISDN

1 12.50%
  • DSL

6 75.00%
  • Cable

1 12.50%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do tell- A hacker or a cracker

Originally posted by jethro
    Now I 'm not trying to defend anybody, I would prefer to be unbiased (because I am a programmer with an interest in network security not a (hac/crac/phrea)ker

But if it wasn't for crackers the world would be a very boring place. I love to see a crappy website that has been taken down (except if I wanted to see the actual website). If it weren't for crackers, http://www.attrition.org and all the other defacement mirror sites would be out of a job. What a terrible thing that would be.

Think of it like this: Evil makes righteousness shine.

Thanking you,
    Jethro
    Well put.

Crimina1

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I have to say that everything you said was 100% right on target and I cant argue with you on that.
    I apologize for saying that you were in a "club" because your right ,you never said that you joined a club
    so thats my bad.What I meant by saying that you owe your job to script kiddies was that as long as they keep on messing **** up at least you get paid for it.You are 100% true when you say that you are responsible for what you have learned because I feel the same exact way.I just dont like this "holier-than -thou" attitude from some of these so-called white hats.
    No problem. This isn't one of those arguable debates where there's a right and wrong. Apology accepted on the whitehat club remark and I might've come off a bit caustic on my response too, so I apologize for that too. I'm glad you rephrased the script kiddies comment and now I know what you mean by 'owing'. Yeah, I get paid for a job that I love to do and I do it well because I'm able to learn more, partly because I want to, partly because it's my job, and partly because of said kiddies. As for the 'holier than thou', yeah, those people can rot for all I care. Image is everything to them with performance a far far second. In the computer field, that's the wrong way to approach things. If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk. That's something I live by. You can't ever say you know anything until you can teach it to someone else and that's something that really sticks in computers. How many idiots have you ever seen talk out their ass in concern to computers? Way more than you probably want to count. And if someone wants to say they're a white-hat and hence better...I find it hard to believe they've never done anything 'black' in their "hacking" career. Everyone's done something, whether it's gray (bad for a good cause) or black (bad for a bad reason).

[quote]I dont deal with FBI or Cops never did never will,they are just as bad or worst than some criminals.I know criminals with better ehtics and morals than most FBI and cops have.You might not believe me but sad to say ,it's a fact.[quote]

I agree. I don't like a majority of the cops I've seen or had the misfortune to talk to, because they always seem to be looking at you (as a guy anyways) as someone suspect until proven innocent. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Also you are the ONLY person since this Topic started that has been able to reply with class and not by flameing,if thats the way you are in the world with people you will live to an old ripe age.as for these other
    A-Holes here,they have to learn that for every action,theres a complete and opposite one.
    Thanks. I graduated HS 8 years ago. The time for that bullshit's long gone. There's a 1000 different ways to say or do something and about 990 of them are wrong. It's up to whoever to pick which one they want.

Thier are alot of strings to be pulled at AO.I'm glad you'r not one(strings) of them because unlike the "others" you seem to know what you'r talking about.
    Thanks again. It would take a lot more to pull a string for me and as far as I'm concerned for 'knowing what I'm talking about', I'll be the first to say 'I don't know.'. It's not knowing all the answers that gets you far, it's knowing who to go to when you don't know.

Good talking with you.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I found this on Usenet...It's some guy's signature on the group alt.2600.hackerz

Why did the hacker cross the road? To get to the other side.
    Why did the cracker cross the road? To get what was on the other side.
    The difference is small, but important.
    -- Gandalf Parker