Thread: Checkpoints firewall 1

Checkpoints firewall 1

Hello all does anyone know if unix supports a free gui for checkpoint? ,if not can a windows system be a gui manager and how would i implement it ?

thanx EviL
    Ee

Unhappy

Umm. If I understand your post - yes you can use a windows gui to manage for chpw. I've done it on nt and see no reason why win2000 wouldn't work. But I much prefer running the gui on unix, in this case solaris.

Implementation is straightforward, install similar to other programs and use the cd guides for help.

Oh and one other barely mentionable item, (heh heh) the gui will run considerably slower on a windows gui, especially when viewing logs.

Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Post should be able to

You'll be able to install the gui client for CP 2000 on a win2k machine, but you might have to install it manually or even download it from the website (http://support.checkoint.com) as the management server and enforcement point components won't install on win2k from some of the CD's (which makes it throw an error when it checks the OS) while CP says that the enforcement points and management servers can be installed on win2k machines. In NT you'll need to be running NT server with at least SP4.

However if all you want to do is put the gui client on the windows box, you can do that on just about any version of windows that is 9x or later.

hope this helps

Yes the GUI will work on any just about any windows box, including Win2k. In fact, most people manage CP firewalls from a windows box, because let's face it *most* people do not have a Solaris box for every day use, unless you do all management from the console which is a pain in the a$$.

One thing to make sure you don't forget however, it to make sure you set the IP of the GUI client machine in the authorized GUI clients configuration when running 'cpconfig'

Thanx All who replied but can the same method apply to Red
    hat 7.2

Thanx EvIL
    Ee

you cannot run the GUI from Redhat as of yet. But I think Checkpoint is working on it.

In the past, I have just drilled down into the file structure of the NT server running Checkpoint and launched the management applications directly from the server on a Win2k workstation. Think of it the same way you run User Manager et al from an NT domain on a workstation.

zac