Thread: no logon legal notice?

no logon legal notice?

for all you sysadmins...y'all might want to check this out...seems if you don't specifically "say" you don't want someone messin about in your system...it can be construed as an invitation ...and may make prosecution difficult...

from NSA's Guide to Securing Microsoft
    Windows 2000 Group Policy:
    Security Configuration Tool Set

Message text for users attempting to log on
    It is recommended that systems display a warning
    message before logon, indicating the private nature of the
    system. Many organizations use this message box to
    display a warning message that notifies potential users
    that their use can be monitored and they can be held
    legally liable if they attempt to use the computer without
    proper authorization. The absence of such a notice could
    be construed as an invitation, without restriction, to enter
    and browse the system.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\System\LegalNoticeText = "Text you want
    displayed"

Sample Text...
    “This is a Department of Defense computer system. This computer system, including all
    related equipment, networks, and network devices (specifically including Internet access),
    is provided only for authorized U. S. Government use. DoD computer systems may be
    monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is authorized, for
    management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized access, and to
    verify security procedures, survivability, and operational security. Monitoring includes
    active attacks by authorized DoD entities to test or verify the security of this system.
    During monitoring, information may be examined, recorded, copied, and used for
    authorized purposes. All information, including personal information, placed on or sent
    over this system may be monitored. Use of this DoD computer system, authorized or
    unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system. Unauthorized use may
    subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of unauthorized use collected during
    monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal or adverse action. Use of this system
    constitutes consent to monitoring for these purposes."

Windows 2000 displays a message box with a caption and text that can be configured
    before a user logs on to the machine. The DoD requires organizations to use this
    message box to display a warning that notifies users that they can be held legally liable if
    they attempt to log on without authorization to use the computer. The absence of such a
    notice could be construed as an invitation, without restriction, to log on to the machine
    and browse the system.
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Thumbs up

I wouldn't go so far as to say that failure
    to post a warning ought to be interpreted
    as an "invitation", but you'd be a fool
    not to clearly warn intruders, so they
    couldn't use the absence of a warning
    as a lame excuse.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that failure
    to post a warning ought to be interpreted
    as an "invitation
    I wouldn't go that far either...but the question is...would the legal system...from what the NSA says.. it just might...and that wouldn't surprise me a bit...who knows...but it's a 2 minute reg tweak...so better to do it than risk some idiot judge somewhere tossin your case...

I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Thumbs up

Yep, sad but true.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thats as dumb as not being able to prosecute a car thief because you left the doors unlocked and the car running in the parking lot. I could always say I "found the car" and since it was running and the doors are unlocked I thought that meant I could take it.