port listening, which program?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: port listening, which program?

Question port listening, which program?

using win OS. by using port scanners you are able to scan your puter for ports with all state, established, listening, etc... is there a way to find out which program or service that is using these ports? tq

rgds
    de
    Share on Google+

Well, nmap will tell you the name of the service (yes, I don't think nmap has been ported to windows, but please get acces to a *nix box if you want to do this kind of stuff). Plus the web has some lists to help you, like: bad service list and Port guide.

Happy reading (and happy linux installing
    (-)
    The autumn air thickly fills my lungs so sweetly
    reminds me of her smoky breath
    (-)
    Share on Google+

Nmap is available for Windows NT and will probably run under other Win versions aswell .

You can find the NmapNT page at eEye Digital Security, it lacks some of the good features found when running under a *nix box, but it's a quite good port scanner.
    Share on Google+

Unhappy

downloaded and tried nmapnt, mcafee anti virii prompted new backdoor virii on the .exe

anyway, i tried it tho but wasnt that successful. oh i tried it on xp...

any other methods?

rgds
    de
    Share on Google+

NMAP will only tell you what ports are open, not what services are using the port. If it is a standard RFC defined port, (21, 23, 25, etc.) then it is easy. Otherwise, I do not know of a way to find out other than stopping services one-by-one until the port is closed.
    Share on Google+

Try Fport, get it from www.foundstone.com

ciao
    Share on Google+

zone alarm will tell which program is going trying to go out and I think where its going to perhaps a firewall can help you?
    Share on Google+

Thanks Krang...good information to know. Although I have not yet tried it, I downloaded it and it looks like it will be sufficient for deBytes question
    Share on Google+

Use SuperScan and ShadowScan if you wanted to know deamons and services, and FTP soft
    and you must learn a lot, and visit www.xatrix.org if you want to be informed...
    Share on Google+

Use SuperScan and ShadowScan if you wanted to know deamons and services, and FTP soft
    and you must learn a lot, and visit www.xatrix.org if you want to be informed...
    Share on Google+