Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: port listening, which program?

if using win os, could you use netstat -a to see what and who is on those ports

Oops, I ment using dos in the win os and try netstat -a, will give port in use and if their are listening and so on...

Oops, I ment using dos in the win os and try netstat -a at the command prompt, will give port in use and if their are open, closed or listening and also which program or service that is using those ports

Originally posted by dspeidel
    zone alarm will tell which program is going trying to go out and I think where its going to perhaps a firewall can help you?
    I must say that I agree with this. A good firewall will show you instantly if some service or aplication or someone is accessing you, and it will also have a full stat of all your network and web connections(so you don't have to go to dos prompt and type those pesky 'netstat' commands) all at your fingers reach! But (I'm not trying to get into a battle 'bout which firewall is better) why everyone is advising to install "Zone Alarm", when the same kind of service(and even more) can be achieved with "AtGuard" firewall, I personally belive, that it's much better than ZoneAlarm, has more features and ad blockinh which as far as I remember ZoneAlarm lacks. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by krang
    Try Fport, get it from www.foundstone.com

ciao
    thx krang.
    its a good tool, only thing is that it didnt work on xp...

rgds
    de

Originally posted by canada

I must say that I agree with this. A good firewall will show you instantly if some service or aplication or someone is accessing you, and it will also have a full stat of all your network and web connections(so you don't have to go to dos prompt and type those pesky 'netstat' commands) all at your fingers reach! But (I'm not trying to get into a battle 'bout which firewall is better) why everyone is advising to install "Zone Alarm", when the same kind of service(and even more) can be achieved with "AtGuard" firewall, I personally belive, that it's much better than ZoneAlarm, has more features and ad blockinh which as far as I remember ZoneAlarm lacks. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I haven't used AtGuard since b4 they where assimilated, so I can't speak for the quality these days. I can mention that Zone Alarm is recommended by a lot of ppl for 2 reasons. 1) Its free. 2) It has in-bound and out-bound blocking(handy for denying trojans i-net access till you can remove em)

It really is a pretty good product for the average home user and if you need more advanced finctionality ie... specific ports configurations and moderately advanced configuration.You can buy the advanced version..Zone Alarm Pro.

If you want total control of your firewall...then get a hardware firewall or set up a *nix box with ipchains.

Also, would you be more specific on the funcionality provided by AtGuard? I really am interested to know if/how much it has changed since the old days.

Cheers
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

Originally posted by Tortured Spirit[BR]
    I haven't used AtGuard since b4 they where assimilated, so I can't speak for the quality these days. I can mention that Zone Alarm is recommended by a lot of ppl for 2 reasons. 1) Its free. 2) It has in-bound and out-bound blocking(handy for denying trojans i-net access till you can remove em)
    Well, sorry for my shuttered brain- I forgot that I have been using a 2 and something year program(Before the assimulation) It's part of Nortons Internet security prog now! Nevertheless, I must insist that this programm still provides more protection than 'ZoneAlarm', the old version is still free I belive(well here in Russia I got it for free<ik!>) The size of a distributive is about 600k- well ain't that nice!

Ahem, it provides everything 'ZoneAlarm' does - inbound/outbound checking, Rules Wizzard, Blocks Cookies(ALSO: Refers, your OS, and Browser type, ActiveX, JS etc)-privacy protection. It blocks ADS- now that is very HANDY!!! And so on!

Ofcourse, using a newest programm may seem like a pro, but I would rather prefer quality and stability of work to a 'newer, fancier, more user-friendly interface'!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, Ms. Smith, I did my homework, but my computer ate it!!!