Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to Linux and...

Question I'm new to Linux and...

Ok, I'm new to linux and need somr basic help. 1st: anyone know where I can d/l some intro to using linux type books? i've found really tech books and security books but i need help in normal usage. 2nd: ok, i want to learn a programing lang. but what does evryone sugest? i'm thinking eather Java or C, mabye python(but i think it's too weak) let me know...

thanks

-Guerrilla Se7en

Wink

well considering you said you are new to linux.. i would take that you are used to Windows..

for one.. i would suggest for you to use RedHat.. its the easiest and less complex linux distro.. and you can find a book for that.. its not that technical..

for a programming language.. it depends on what you want to do.. Java is mostly web based.. while as C is mainly System Based.. I would Suggest C coz once you master C you can then move up to C++

But you really dont have to master C to move to C++... you can go straight to C++ but it would be much more easier for you to learn C++ if you have experience in C...

Cool

well.. i would totally agree with her.. but then if you dont like RedHat you can always try Mandrake or Slackware...

and if you really are a GUI monkey i would recomend Visual Basic 6.0 for you..

I'm using RedHat 7.2 and yea i'm good with windows, but linux.... it'll take some getting use to, but mabye soon....

ok i think i'll learn C coz i keep hearing evryone say alot of dif langs are like C and i think if taht's so it'll be easyest to learn C 1st then mabye some more just got to go buy a few books this weekend oh well i guess i can spend some money on it......

-Guerrilla Se7en

i do consider that redhat is fairly easy to use. i presume that u r refering to its shell not the gui, cos the gui is pretty much like win.

rgds
    de

Arrow k.....

about to chek all thous links BTW: what's evrones fav desktop enviroment, and plz tell why? i like kde and Gnome both but can't pick one i like more then the other........

-Guerrilla Se7en

hum.....

Originally posted by s0nIc

...if you really are a GUI monkey i would recomend Visual Basic 6.0 for you..
    hum seeing how i'm tring to get into linux/out of windows I don't think visual basic/nor VC++ whould be a good choice coz they only work for windows (BTE i've got visual studios 6 for windowslol)

-Guerrilla Se7en

everyone else seems to disagree with me on this, but in my opinion you should start with c++ before c. i learned c first and later as i went back to learn c++ it was difficult for me to "unlearn" many of the c-style of programming that i was accustomed to.

but then again it all depends what you want to do. c is a subset of c++, but if you're looking for the more elegant language i would go for c++.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Post Re: k.....

Originally posted by guerrillase7en
    about to chek all thous links BTW: what's evrones fav desktop enviroment, and plz tell why? i like kde and Gnome both but can't pick one i like more then the other........
    hows it going guerrillase7en? Anyway Im a KDE user for the similarity it has between it and the more familiar MS Windows environment. Anyway, many people will tell you that it is slower than Gnome or that it is too much like windows, but it is not slower on my computer. The thing I suggest is to try both for yourself, but also try some of the other environments too, I personally love the way windows maker looks over both KDE and Gnome, it is just harder to navigate. By the way welcome to the dark side
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19