Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corporate antivirus recommandations

Corporate antivirus recommandations

Hi,

I'm the tech/admin for a highschool, and I have to re-equip our computers and server with up to date antivirus software and I'm looking for recommandations. We have about 80 computers, running win95, NT4, w2k, and linux mail server. I'm looking for experienced opinions about efficiancy, speed, managment.. you know...

TIA

Ammo

Symantec

Well, for workstations I personally am a fan of Norton Antivirus 2002 Professional. For your servers the Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Edition would probably suit you better since it integrates itself very well with NT, and W2K. Check this link out for some more info. I have used both of the products and have been extremely happy with the results.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Well, I would seriously look at Deep Freeze from Hypetechnologies as a supplemental program. It keeps quite a few viruses out as a side effect of it's system-locking capabilities. I like it because it doesn't interfere with anything you want to do so long as you aren't counting on whatever-it-is being there after a reboot.

As for antivirus software... Hm. Would this be real-time scanning always-on stuff for the window machines?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

oblio
    try a hammer and Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Cool

well personally yeah i would agree with Norton Antivirus 2002 Professional... and Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Edition... their Live Update is always an asset for their softwares and highly recomendabe by experienced Network Administrators such as ME!! lolz

Norton corporate is incredibly easy to set up and roll out to nt machines (your 95 machines will have to have the installer updated, which means going around to each one unless you've got SMS or something similar already in place). The real time scanning doesn't effect the speed in a noticeable way unless you're copying hundreds of files, but how often do you do that, you can just turn it off momentarily. Just my plug, I like the software package.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

norton av products has easy configurations and options control, u can easy force all the clients to follow the option setting that u hv setup, esp not to allow the disable option on the clients. their definition updates r pretty much automated (liveupdates).

rgds
    de

Just for the good sake I have to mention some other good softwares not mentioned above.

• Panda AV:
    • Easy to roll out to clients.
    • Frequently updated.
    • Real time scanner takes less resources then traditional scanners like McAfee.
    • Good support and nice desinfect utilities.
    • Covers many platforms.
      McAfee AV:
    • Easy to roll out to clients.
    • Frequently updated.
    • Real time scanner takes a lots of resources compared to so called DLL scanners.
    • Good support (depends on licence) and nice desinfect utilities.
    • Covers many platforms.

Personaly would I give Panda AV a good look since they have a verry good support and nice product and with their other services it makes their product a excelence choice. It has been a lots of discussions the past months about AV products here at AO and I would recomend you to look at these threads aswell .

here check this site out

u might like this one

http://www.hbedv.com/
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

Exclamation Defense In Depth

I realize that yours is a rather limited environment and that you're probably the only guy running it.

Two things:
    (1) If your going to choose one product, then go with a mainstream vendor: Norton's, McAfee, TrendMicro

(2) If you've got the leaway, mix it up, so that you don't have all your eggs in one basket. We use a variety of products, keeping a database of what's where. I regularly change what I'm using on my own machine so that I can be familiar with the different products and keep tabs on which ones are weak and which ones are doing the job.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=