Thread: Spyware & AudioGalaxy

Spyware & AudioGalaxy

Read the article regarding 'Morpheus/Kazaa' and wondered about the security of
    Audio Galaxy. (Apparently not secure; as it did include spyware by VX2 Corporation)

Wired.Com article on Spyware

Welcome to reality, many of those freeware-pograms (e.g. Napigator, BearShare etc. as well as ReGet, Download Accelerator, GoZilla and so on) contain "phone.home"-functions. With a good firewall you can stop many of them from doing it.

Exclamation ad aware

get ad aware
    it tells you about spyware hidden in cookies, registry on on the drive, good stuff.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Cool

hmm well that is really depressing.. i guess it is true when they say "nothing is for free" they always have a price.. oh well.. alteast we're glad thats out in the open.. I think its the Anti-Virus companie's job to detec such spywares..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I've been using Audiogalaxy for the past 6 or 7 months now, paying the 6 bucks a month or whatever it is for the gold account and I've never had anything spike with Ad Aware (which I also bought, the 5.62+ version). Ad Aware is great (there's a new reference file btw, go get it here ).

A lot of these 'freebies' (as stated before) contain nice little surprises, whether it's spyware or 'phone home' abilities or something else. This is one main reason why I don't use them at all, not even to install and see what the interface is like. Burying keys in the registry or whatnot isn't my idea of a good time. Hence, why I have/use a licensed copy of Registry Healer (better than regclean as it looks at invalid directories/installs).

Short list of definite 'must-haves' for Windows:

1: a good antivirus that suits your needs (I recommend Titanium Panda)
    2: Registry Healer for cleaning your registry
    3: AdAware 5.62+ (or latest) for spyware checking
    4: a good firewall that suits your needs (Zone Alarm pro is my recommendation)
    5: a good program that cleans up your disks/cache like Norton Utilities (as well as a plethora of other goodies that help performance)

All of these will help performance, but we all know what that means in Windows. Windows crashing is inevitable. It's like death, it *will* come.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Computer Forensics
    in addition to ad-aware which vorlin reccomended(spelling) BHO COP is another excellent tool for removing spyware.

BHO: browser helper objects...which is what spyware is......and if they are poorly written( like in IMESH) they can cause your browser to crash.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

oblio
    i have never seen or heard anything about a gold account from audiogalaxy. They specifically mention in the FAQ that the entire service is absolutely free.

AudioGalaxy Gold Accounts

AudioGalaxy Gold

Looks like the offer a free service, and a pay service....

The pay service offers extra features, such as faster dedicated servers...
    You can read more about the Gold Accounts, here
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"