Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacker Ethics

akanicknick

Exclamation Hacker Ethics

Hello All,
    I
    would just like to start by stating that this, I have never tried nor completed the task of doing anything to my school computers.
    But just recently I was called into the Assistant Principal's Office. Not knowing what I had done, I was under complete shock. He accused me of "hacking into" and "deleteing the start-up files necessary for windoze". And I am now paying restitution for the Sys-Administrator to "fix" the problem. I have to PAY 30$ per hour for his services to a total of (4) four different computers. And it will supposedly take him (2) two hours per computer to "fix" them. And since they tied it to vandalism I was suspended from school for (5) days.
    Now my question is,

"Is it ethical to retaliate to this rude accusation by putting a wurm on the school network that duplicates itself over the network folders and fills all the fixed drives? In the end it should, if it works properly, f**k their Novell computers out the window."

I have read some "hacker codes" and people are apparently against attacks like this, but this is under extreme strain.

1st) I would say no.
    2nd) You said "never tried to " and "completed the task" in the same sentence..Well what's the deal? Did you try or not? If you did and screwed up, then you should pay the consequences. Do your experimenting on your own machines. Admins have enuff to do without having to constantly fix things screwed up by ppl experimenting.

I'll admit that I think the punishment is a bit harsh(unless you have been caught multiple times) but that's still no excuse to do what you propose. Besides, if you think the punishment was harsh this time, wait till you see what happens if your plan succeeds.
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

akanicknick

^^EDIT^^

I have NEVER done anythign to the computers. And did NOT do ANYthing to the computers.

Re: Hacker Ethics

Originally posted by akanicknick
    I was under complete shock. He accused me of "hacking into" and "deleteing the start-up files necessary for windoze".
    What 'proof' did they show you? Do they have logs? Or did somebody just say "He did it!"

Cool

Don't retaliate. Peace man, peace.

akanicknick

Exclamation ^^EDIT^^

Their "proof" was that a Teacher, Student, and the Librarian all saw me at a specific computer that went down later that day, and they all said that "Nick was the last one who was on the computer." Even thought in the Library the computers are all public and right by the door with a convenient escape route. But my question was, is the retaliation ethical?

Re: ^^EDIT^^

But my question was, is the retaliation ethical?
    If, by retaliation, you mean doing something else to screw up their systems, then the answer is NO, thats just going to get you in deeper ****. However, if you want to retaliate by taking you case to a higher authority (e.g. The School Board) that would be the route to go.

If they don't have the 'solid' proof, I don't think they can charge you with anything.

Re: ^^EDIT^^

Their "proof" was that a Teacher, Student, and the Librarian all saw me at a specific computer that went down later that day, and they all said that "Nick was the last one who was on the computer." Even thought in the Library the computers are all public and right by the door with a convenient escape route. But my question was, is the retaliation ethical?
    Man that's pretty slim. Just because a Winbloze machine went down that you happened to be at, they slap you like that? Talk about an over-reaction.

No logs? or anything concrete to show you deleted files? Take DjM's advice and appeal it..fight back from within the system. If you retaliate by screwing up their systems, it's as good as admitting that you were responsible for the original incident. Get the advice of a lawyer would be my advice at this point, if they have no concrete proof that you messed anything up then they can't do what they did to you.
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

Thumbs up

You could hijack an airliner and fly it into the administration
    building, but, no, putting a worm on the system
    would be severe.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

You could try and fight it, but you can't win. I don't know how your school is, but at my school, the people running the labs know about the same amount as your average or slightly below average user. And as you move up the chain, computer knowledge becomes more and more rare. Any chance you could write an article for the school paper or something of the like?

Hmm, I just loked at it again, and I noticed you said that you were suspended for five days. This could be a problem, so definatly fight it. With privacy being the way it is, there's no way to know when this'll slap you in the face again.