Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacker Ethics

akanicknick

i guess i will try that

THIS IS A TEST

I am with the others, ask them for concrete proof

Point out to em why they are wrong

Worming the system is a little on the extreme side...

Since the damage has already been done, there's not much worth "fighting" for now, except maybe clear your image, make them understand that they were wrong, apologize, bla bla bla. But narrow-minded people would never admit they're wrong. So, as thesecretfire pointed out, chances to win are slim.

As for retaliation, ethics, morals, reason, everything tells me " DONT !@#!@!#! " but my every gut says "go for it". heh. make the sys admins sweat for those $30/hr you paid 8-). Nevertheless, I'm not a roll model, and I strongly suggest you not to take any actions

the_g_nee: it's too late to ask for concrete proof, he already paid them and had his 5 days off (at least that's what I understood, correct me if i'm wrong).
    Yours twisted,
    baphomet
    http://www.clueless-idiot.org

Who did u pay to fix the computers again? did u get to choose who fix it or did they with ur money?

if u prove to them that they have no solid proof and ask that they give ur money back or u will go above thier heads... i highly doubt they will try and fight u when they have NO proof or logs against u. Its just like sayin because a hallway was on fire and someone saw u walk threw it from 100 yards away that automaticly means u did it. If the admins are stupid enough not to have some form of GOOD protection and logging of some sort, its thier own fualt and i hope u tare them a new ******* with a law suit of some sort cause missing 5 days of school and payin tons of money for sumthin u say u didnt do and they cant prove even the slightest that u did it... thier gonna lose big time!

what did ur parents say? get them to fight it... people dont listen to kids, but they fear the evil mothers!

-NetSyn
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I'm going to guess that this is a high school we're talking about and since that's established I can say this:

Their 'sys adm' is someone who knows a little more than the others in the office.

Computers, especially windows driven, are point-and-click and they don't get down to the nitty-gritty of how it works, so their 'admin', having to spend 4 hours (wtf? I could rebuild two systems entirely, games and all in that time) at 30 bucks an hour for something they can't prove is a bit of bullshite if you ask me.

Cut and paste the following and tell them I said this:

1: windows goes down all the time.
    2: windows goes down all the time.
    3: windows in a library accessible by all goes down faster than a stripper after a $100 bill
    4: rinse and repeat on 1-3.
    5: windows really sucks, get a real OS.
    6: their 'admin' is nothing more than an educated monkey apparently if it takes four hours to "fix" windows.

You should have fought this thing from the start. They have no proof that it was you, that it wasn't something similar to a time-bomb trojan or anything else. The "last person in the chair" theory holds about as much water as a strainer does and because of their ineptness and bad methodology of it tells me that something got fscked a lot more than they want to admit and were looking for a scapegoat (you).

Moral of the story: don't do anything to their machines because, even if you could get away with it by not having a trail behind you, their method of "well, he was last on the machine" would simply turn into "well, we fixed it and now it's broke again, must be that guy again".
    And even if they didn't have proof, being teachers and whatnot in a school is enough power for them it seems. Bunch of fsckin' bitter I-hate-my-job-and-I-suck-at-anything-else idiots...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Unhappy

Vorlin: your arguments are excellent and they would hold against a person who has a basic understanding about computers and how they work. But it's not the case here. You said it yourself that the sys admin is the person who knows a little more than the others, and he has already proven to be a clueless neophyte. What do you think the highschool's director thinks about it? Who do you think s/he will trust? A *kid* being accused of having "heavily" damaged four computers or their beloved sys admin whom they employed? IMHO NetSyn's suggestion would work, though: get the evil mother do the talking!
    Yours twisted,
    baphomet
    http://www.clueless-idiot.org

oblio
    in your case the US Justice system is in your favor. In america you can sue for virtually anything. This is certainly a case of libel. There is absolutely no need for you to pay any cent to anyone without PHYSICAL evidence that you have commited a crime. Not only would you win such a court case, but you would probably also be awarded damages due to your suspension. Do not give in to these elitists. Also check with your school or your district's charter to determine whether or not computer related misconduct is considered vandalism. They cannot possibly seek restitution for vandalism if their charter does not even recognize this act.

Cool

Well if i was in your shoes.. hmm by instinct i would retaliate by leaving a Logical Bomb in the network.. but that would just make things worse.. they would be more convinced that you were the one who did it.. so my suggestion is find another way to retaliate.. and try not to make the retaliation computer related..

I vote Vorlin the next admin of this school !!!!!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    What do you think the highschool's director thinks about it? Who do you think s/he will trust? A *kid* being accused of having "heavily" damaged four computers or their beloved sys admin whom they employed? IMHO NetSyn's suggestion would work, though: get the evil mother do the talking!
    I've been in that situation before, a mere "kid" who "violated school and proper computer ethics", standing before the board of "experts" who knew nothing of what "computer ethics" even involved. There's nothing you can say or do in that situation because everything you do say will be invalidated because you're a "kid" and they're trying to ensure you don't "go down the wrong track". I can't stand people like that. My parents got into the game too late because they themselves didn't like me being on computers either and passed me the line of "Well, if you screwed up, take the punishment with it.". Did I mention that all I did was share two drives in the library computers and pass files across the network? The librarian saw it and swore up and down that I was "hacking" the computers. The feeling of complete helplessness when you're *not* guilty of anything they said you did, not being able to even defend yourself, and nobody supporting you remains etched in your memory, as it is in mine to this day and now, whenever I see those people, I don't even pretend to be nice. I've told them on more than one occasion that they're a waste of my time when they need help with their computers and that I couldn't fix it because "well, that's hacking, remember?". I make sure they remember that what they did was wrong and I was 'wrongfully punished and never apologized to'. People like that deserve to be reminded of the errors of their ways until they see that the role they play (teachers in an education system) isn't omnipotent to any degree and that their actions can have negative or positive connotations which will affect the student(s) involved. As for the beloved 'sysadmin', I laughed at him and asked him to show the board how to network two machines together so file-sharing wasn't a problem. He refused saying it would take 'extraneous effort' and that 'it shouldn't be done'. Oh well...

Some lessons are hard learned but now, who's laughing?

I vote Vorlin the next admin of this school !!!!!
    HAH! I'm a unix admin for a reason, and that's to be away from people! Somehow, that never works though, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.