Thread: Building your own linux

Antionline Herpetologist

Building your own linux

After my botched up OpenBSD fisaco, during which I lost all my data, including the stuff I had on windows, I've decided that m latest experiment is going to be a linux system that I build pretty much from scratch. What I want from you guys is a few suggestions as to which compact distro to use as either a base or a platform to compile everything from.
    Thanx,
    cgkanchi

Slackware is proud of the simplicity of their distro. They seem to make it a point to keep their OS small and simple. Maybe you should look into that one. I plan on switching to that one before (too) long. SuSE is cool, but I think it's a little beefier than it needs to be. I need a distro that requires some thinking.

Your best bet would be to visit www.linuxfromscratch.org

-Taboo
    --
    \"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.\"
    Dennis Ritchie.

does it make so much of a difference what platform you're using to compile the stuff? the gcc/g++/make/gmake suite does the same thing under all unices...
    Yours twisted,
    baphomet
    http://www.clueless-idiot.org

Antionline Herpetologist
    The reason I asked is that I need something really small so that I can download and install it as a dual boot. And then begin building my linux.
    Thanx,
    cgkanchi

you could go for debian, the base install is under 100MB and you won't have any problems with fixing module dependencies
    Yours twisted,
    baphomet
    http://www.clueless-idiot.org