View Poll Results: Does AntiOnline suffer from a mild case of feature-itis...

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... all them damn features..

2 6.45%
  • Well, I like some of them new features...

8 25.81%
  • I kinda like the new features..

8 25.81%
  • Hell no!! I want more features..

13 41.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Port Vulnerability

Cool

Well... Firewalls arent really 100% protection for your computer... One way of hacking into a computer that has a firewall is to first know what firewall they are using.. I think there is such software that would do that.. second.. you can also exploit one Win2k vulnerability which is the file sharing default.. once you manage to get into the c: drive.. you can then have a look around what firewall the person has.. then leave a batch file on the start up menu and program that batch file to delete the firewall.. when the person starts the puter.. the batch file will then execute and delete the firewall..

anotherway is when you get inside.. firewalls have a certain .ini file that tells the firewall which ports to block.. elite crackers would edit that file and leave one port open as a back d00r..

or.. once you find out what the firewall is.. you can search for an exploit for it.. piece of cake..

If I'm understanding the jibberish in this thread, you're arguing about the concept that an open port means someone can hack you. Blah. Have at my ports.

Just because a port is open doesn't mean someone can hack you. Just because you have a firewall doesn't mean someone can't hack you.

My two cents:

Stop worrying about being "hacked". Most people run single user operating systems anyway and don't carry anything worth someone's time and effort to exploit. Not only this, but if you maintain some sense of control over your system and only run services that you know you need, then you can concentrate on running the correct software to A) get the job done, and B) not allow people more acess to your system than you want them to find.

It boils down to common sense. If you're scared someone will hack you, unplug your stupid modem and go read a book. The Internet doesn't need paranoia.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

My opinion,

Firstly, harden your computer by disabling all non-essential services such as IIS, FTP with W2K, possibly Netbios (I hate Netbios!!).

Basically disabling these services will eliminate a hell of a lot of possible vulnerabilities with a computer directly facing the Internet.

Installing a Personal Firewall such as Tiny, SyGate, AtGuard and having it properly configured will also give you some added protection. But remember, its not worth having a firewall, if it is not properly configured.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Originally posted by s0nIc
    Well... Firewalls arent really 100% protection for your computer... One way of hacking into a computer that has a firewall is to first know what firewall they are using.. I think there is such software that would do that.. second.. you can also exploit one Win2k vulnerability which is the file sharing default.. once you manage to get into the c: drive.. you can then have a look around what firewall the person has.. then leave a batch file on the start up menu and program that batch file to delete the firewall.. when the person starts the puter.. the batch file will then execute and delete the firewall..

anotherway is when you get inside.. firewalls have a certain .ini file that tells the firewall which ports to block.. elite crackers would edit that file and leave one port open as a back d00r..

or.. once you find out what the firewall is.. you can search for an exploit for it.. piece of cake..
    You're making the presumption that they're using a software firewall. If they're using a hardware firewall, or even a software firewall on another box, it's not just a piece of cake. You're making it sound so easy you could just waltz right in when in truth on a properly configured system it's a lot more difficult.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

a sensible post chsh.

In addition to some of the points raised here, consider that:

the target may have multiple firewalls and in combinations of hw and sw

pfr may be in use,

exception loggers with antibots may be running

honeypots ( or even 'nets) may be what you are really seeing.

hcking fw are not the issue, getting through the network in far more difficult if it is
    constructed well.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.