Thread: Learning Computers

Talking Learning Computers

I HAVE BEEN USING COMPUTERS FOR ABOUT A 18 MONTHS NOW AND ENJOY IT ALOT.

I KNOW HOW BUILD, FIX GENERAL PROBLEMS AND ALL THE SIMPLE STUFF BUT I WANT TO GO IN DEEPER AND LEARN ALOT MORE LIKE PROGRAMMING, NETWORKING, BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT WILL INCREASE MY BRAIN POWER WITH A COMPUTER.

SO BASICALLY COULD I LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT A COMPUTER JUST BY READING BOOKS AND USING MY HOME COMPUTER OR WOULD I NEED TO GO INTO A CLASS ROOM AND SO ON ?

SOMEBODY PLEASE REPLY

Firstly, when writing, do not use CAPITALS. You'll find if you keep writing in CAPS, people will tend to get very angry with you, so good advice is to stick to lower case.

Now, if you are new to computer software/programming and would like to start off learning a language or something, I would recommend that you first understand HTML (not really a language, but it's good to know basics) and learn the basics of it. Make some websites - just on your computer - they don't have to be online.

Good HTML beginners guide: http://stardeveloper.com:8080/html.asp

After you learn a bit about HTML, I'd recommend something like Java. It's quite easy to catch onto and it helps you understand basic programming concepts (if-statements, while-loops, etc...).

Good luck with it all,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

yea hot ice is right HTML is the best language to start off with. If you want to learn a little about hardware go out to the store and buy a hard drive or some kind of pci card and try to install it yourself. You can also hang around the AO forums and you'll pick up alot.

Happy Learning,
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

thanx for the help

I have done my own website on my computer and i have put together my from scratch so i will go straight to java thanx again

Smile

you ask good questions. You can learn quite a bit by some of the ways you and the other replying members have suggested. As to taking courses, why not as long as you can and have the resources. All of the major comp firms have certifying courses and many local shops offer tailored training as well.

You can learn much at home by trial and error and informing yourself on ao and other quality discussion venues.

good luck.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

yes why not i would say !!!
    u can definately learn from books and the computer u have at home...just u need is dedication. just intially take some books on languages which u like..
    first start with books for dummies then go for master series , then once u complete then u go for unleased versions. and practise and practise and practise....

u can do it...

all the best...

intruder..

Bah. It's a waste of time to go to a classroom. Books are OK as references, but you won't learn anything until you break something. Don't be afraid to screw something up on your ocmputer. Delete your partition, corrupt a few system files. Only then will you learn what REALLY happends with your computer.

As for programming, grab some source code and hack it up. Find out what goes wrong with you change something.

Last but not least, stop posting to forums asking where you should learn. You're on the Internet for Christ's sake. The world at your fingertips. You could learn how to pot a flower or build a nuclear weapon.. Go do something with your time.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network