Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get a load of this: (national ID card)

dr, i think you mean:

"Give me Liberty or give me Death"
    ....Patrick Henry, 1776

anyway, that was 225 years ago. life, morals and society has changed. i still think that man, (as a whole), would trade a little freedom for more security.

btw - who's to say the the uber database doesn't already exist. i don't recall a truly succesful hack of the NSA in the last few years. someone please tell me if i am wrong here.
    4ChecK

--ssshhh, be vewry, vewry quiet...

i agree with Dr Toker, it can lead to "smartchips". the govt already has a lot of nice new toys to help them track anyone down. yes, hackers will eventually be hunted down and persecuted. i already see some bias against hackers, and it won't help at all if a large database is made that contains all personal data about an individual. i already feel safe without them cards. to take a risk at "giving away" all my information; i don't think so! over my cold, long dead body! i'm not saying this might not be safe; i'm just saying i don't trust anything i can't see, especially if it is taking such a risk! this helps eliminate more freedom i quote, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

This is a worrying concept, without doubt.
    To have an individual able find out everything about you from one location
    is simply wrong. An individual annonymity in a democratic society should (must?)
    be assured. Programers will write code for these 'super info machines' that would
    search them and throw up - potentially anyway - your name for whatever reason,
    thereby leaving a totally innocent person liable for deeper investigation for no other
    reason than a machine pointing the finger.
    Hands up all those who thinks this is happening already???

Exclamation Personal feedoms

I think Janis Joplin said it, "Freedoms just another word for nothing left to loose". From the moment we are born we are loosing "freedoms". Get that kids shots, take him to this school, fill out this form, ect.... Life is a balancing act of giving up total freedom for the things we want, a loan for a new car, boat, home, mega computer equip..... It seems that since the 11th of September the attacks on the level of personal freedoms has dramatically gone up. Every state now has a homeland defense coordinator (sp?). From a party that spouts less Gov't we are given more and more.
    Being an ex service man, the Gov't has a huge file on me already. Every pimple and blemish is documented. I do not believe that the gov't is gonna be the real perps here. It'll be big business, insurance co's ect... that have the ok of the fed.
    Well enough ranting here, lets check out the rest of the site.
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

Look at Social Security Numbers. It has become an identifier, but in order to implement it the govt promised that it would not become one. I'm suprised the numbers are not embedded in my arm so I can show school who I am.

here in my country (spain) we used ID sort where all are personal information is stored up .
    of course am against it but you can't really do much about it but am not planning approve any law that takes liberties from us even if it helps to track terrorist because maybe you will be on the other end some day just because you don't agry with some things and they will now everything about you much better than you and i think that is and ofense to civil rights
    well thats my point of view

Originally posted by VictorKaum
    Hey, why all that panic?

Here in Belgium we all (all people > 12 year) have an Identity Card
    On the card is a number called 'Rijksregisternummer' or 'Stateregistrynumber' with this numbe they can track you down: age, gender, location, social status, birth date, birth place, parents names, criminal status.

No 1 here does have complains against this... is this a privacy violation... perhaps.
    My dad works as a computer analyst at the company that runs the mainframes holding the archive with everyone's info and yes there are some risks about privacy, but there are also many benefits.

About security: they use their own telecommunicationlines to communicate (encrypted) between governement, police, ministry of defense and the mainframes. So no1 can snif on those lines except when they dig a hole in the ground, search for the cable and pretend to be a reciever but this is not an easy task to do.
    Well I've mostly worked in this sort of area (IBM mainframe systems) for the last 20 years or so, and yes, there is a lot of truth in what you say. However, nothing is perfect, and there are a lot of loopholes, although normally you would require some sort of assistance from someone on the 'inside' - however this can be as simple as aquiring access to a laptop used by a support person. I'm speaking from personal experience here, as a company I was working for in the past detected some very odd database requests (just commercialy sensitive as it turned out), which we eventually managed to trace.

For all the Europeans:

Its been my observation, although ive given it no research, that the countries in Europe are acting to unit, yet maintain their national individuality at the same time. Where anyone from any nation can travel and trade unhindered in any of the other nations.

Well that’s the concept of states here (hence our name). Now the coalition wants to take power from the states and assume it themselves.

How would you react to that.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”