Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel & AMD issue

AMD has Socket A.

How many socket types does Intel have?

I say stick with one.

Lightbulb Ermm...

Price makes no difference, its all about raw computing power!
    Yup.. It's all about POWER!

...Intel's P4 now reaching the 2Ghz range...
    I have to agree. I don't know if it was the OS, useage of too much memory,
    too many open applications, or what ever but I agree with conf1rm3d_k1ll..
    And I'd also have to say "I'll take one of those thank you very much!"

BTW, memory, RAM, and other factors affect the over all speed of your PC..
    not just what processor you use.

Remote_Access_

AMD has processors out now that beat out Intel's best offer. But it's done with allot less brute force. Intel wastes CPU cycles like nobody's business that's why they won't win out over AMD.

In other words GHZ is not the performance base it used to be.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

What about the pro's and con's of Celeron? Would you even consider that in the same league as the other two?

I run Linux on my piece of **** Emachien that has a 900mhz Celeron. It's actually pretty fast. Though it only serves files.

Celeron is fine for Word Processing and Basic Internet.

For Graphics and **** though, get an AMD or INTEL>......Though I recommend AMD
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Celeron is just a whimped out Pentium. What was it that it was missing? An NPU or something.. hehehe

Celeron will be fine for your mom, but will it be right for you?

Do you play games or do any CAD or 3D rendering? Maybe not.

But in any case, Intel better wake up and smell the CPU burning!!!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I've seen a number of articles on the web comparing AMD and Intel that compare the two using various benchmarks. The concensus seems to be that when you compare two "equal" chips (ie. P3 1000Mhz vs Athlon 1000Mhz), AMD still performs faster. Just what I've seen around.

Check out http://tomshardware.com for heaps of cool stuff on this, including the new Pentium 3 Gigahertz!!!
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Thumbs up Proc's

I used to be a diehard Intel fan. No more. My personal machine is an AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) 1.0 GHz OC'ed to 1.3. With 512MB of RAM (Crap load of fans by the way, but still runs cooler than an OC'ed Intel). My roomate has an AMD Athlon 950 with 256 MB of RAM. His brother has a P4 1.5 GHz with 512MB of RAM and my AMD runs circles around it. So I go with AMD. It's cost effective and has the power. Why would I spend more for a name? Intels are good for a server from the machines I have worked on. I have not got to try any Athlon XP's in a dual proc server yet. If anybody has. How do they perform?
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I would have to go with AMD it,s got the price and the power. But i seen some testing results on the 2 of them and there was not to big of a difference in the speed of there processors. But i still go with AMD.

Unhappy

Come on who gave me a neg Anti points for my post above? There was nothing wrong with that post and if there was should have put your name so i know who gave it to me.

ANTI-HACKERS