Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel & AMD issue

Antionline Herpetologist
    Right now, I'd probably go with Intel, if price wasn't an issue, coz their new northwood core kicks A$$! But AMD's gonna have their say soon, and I'm willing to bet that it betters Intel!

AMD has Socket A.

How many socket types does Intel have?

I say stick with one.
    That's what I say too. AMD sticks with one socket for ages so that you can upgrade easily without having to buy a new motherboard everytime you just want a higher clock speed. Intel changes it everytime. I got a Celeron 400MHz and I cannot buy a P4 - the most I can get is some Pentium II's. If I were to have purchased a PC with an AMD processor - I could have upgraded to the Athlon XP 1800+ or whatever without changing anything else.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

lots of valid points posted. i will go with intel.

rgds
    de

I still say AMD and you can give me all the negative ant points you want who ever you where

ANTI-HACKERS

I found a interesting article on LinuxHardware.org about Pentium 4 "Northwood" vs. Athlon XP 2000+.

Source:
    "LinuxHardware.org has just published their results in the
    Pentium 4 verses Athlon XP war. The full review can be found here.
    When reading this review I'm forced to choose AMD instead of Intel. But I'm still thinking of compability issues and the most of all reviews are only considering speed and benchmark tests. I'll probably continue to use my old P3 processor since I know it's compatible with most of plattforms and hardware .

Originally posted by micael
    I found a interesting article on LinuxHardware.org about Pentium 4 "Northwood" vs. Athlon XP 2000+.

When reading this review I'm forced to choose AMD instead of Intel. But I'm still thinking of compability issues and the most of all reviews are only considering speed and benchmark tests. I'll probably continue to use my old P3 processor since I know it's compatible with most of plattforms and hardware .
    It's all good. There are no compatibilty issues to speak of. I use everything from word processors to 3D renedering programs and I have found no issues.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I have built many systems using both chips..... If price wasn't a factor I would choose intel and heres why...You can take a 2 gig intel chip...forget the fan, forget the thermal grease and forget the heat sink and that baby will go all the way thru post before the thermal protection shuts it down. The chip will still be good. If you take a 1.5 gig AMD and try the same thing..well you have a cooked chip. I know from exp. I believe AMD is still the best $ value...intel is by far the most reliable...IMHO

hot ice, what socket were u using with that Celeron? 370? if so and depending on ur mobo..you should have been able to upgrade to a p3 since they use the same socket.

Disclaimer: Everything stated below is just my opinion and should be taken as such

As far as the difference between Intel P4s and AMDs...the speed difference is minimal when using ram that is the same. but when you test it using the ram that is recommended thats where the difference shows.

P4s with RDRAM have a built in latency lag that slows them down. tho it isnt near as bad if you go ahead and get the i840 chipset, which is better optimized for RDRAM. Besides, if RDRAM is all that great why is Intel mating DDRAM with their high-end server products running P4s?

AMDs with DDRAM do not have the lag, latency is just about the same as with SDRAM but with a much faster clock speed. (133 versus 266)

Memory bandwidth at 266Mhz is supposed to be about 2GB/sec.. versus about 1.5GB/sec from the PC800 RDRAM (Note: these numbers are approximate)

It takes more than a Mhz rating to be able to tell what processor is faster,there are way too many variables to take into account. I have no argument that Intel makes a reliable chip but I have known someone who (accidently) didn't put heatsink or fans on a Athlon and even tho it shut down while booting from the floppy, it wasn't fried(still works to this day)..so I'm not sure how valid of a test of reliability that is. I have built many systems with both Intels and AMDs and don't see a noticable difference between them other than price.

There's alot more to this than I have stated but I dont have the time right now to go intoo further detail...

On a personal note, If I were building a dream system, I would go with AMD for no other reason that they aren't in bed with Satan. oh yea, and the cheaper price never hurts.
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

Re: Intel & AMD issue

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    Greets everyone..
    I know there's a thread somewhere on the on going debate over which processor is the best but I've got some news for you. Intel has cut it's prices to give AMD a run for their money.
    The majority of you chose AMD on the last thread cause it was cheaper but now Intel has made their product cheaper to stay in the game. Based ONLY on performance, which processor would you chose and why?

Remote_Access_
    Based on performance I will always go for AMD. I have had the the best luck. I have an AMD 200 that runs faster than an Intel 300 that I use. I am running DVD almost perfectly on a AMD 200 that the minimum system requirements is supposed to be a Pentuim II 400
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Here is the latest lowdown on overclocking specs from both chips:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020128/index.html