Thread: monday mornin heads up

Exclamation MyParty Worm - heads up

MyParty virus leaves nasty hangover
    By James Middleton [28-01-2002]
    Antivirus firms are warning about a fast spreading mass mailing virus going by the name of MyParty, which appeared in the wild over the weekend.
    Suspected to have started in Singapore, reports of the virus are now coming in from all over Europe.

The virus arrives as an email with the subject: 'New photos from my party!' and body text along the lines of: 'My party ... It was absolutely amazing! I have attached my web page with new photos! If you can please make colour prints of my photos.
    Thanks!'
    The MyParty worm is a new direction for virus authors as they are utilising the fact that web addresses can end in .com, also the extension DOS executable command files."
    http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128670

Just a monday mornin heads up for ya all...interesting about the .com thing...kinda surprising no ones done much with that in the past...seems so obvious...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

dfamness.... i jsut got tat e-mail anmd deleted it
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

These are startin to pile up in my inbox already...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Sounds like you need to customize a rule in your email virus scanning software to auto-delete those nasties.

Stupid viri.....stupid, stupid viri. Good thing I run FreeBSD. hehehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

i've got it set up to delete the attachments...i don't delete the entire message as i try to send people who have sent me a nasty a heads up....they're customers (albeit stupid ones ) and they appreciate it...as much as anyone can appreciate being told they are unknowingly infecting other systems...majistrs a great one...i always send em back what was emailed to me....have had some pretty interesting stuff sent to me that way...

Talking

I LOVE virus warnings at AO. It reminds me of the old days when we use to have a news section on the home page....those were the days..

There is already a variant out on this Virus. Info can be found HERE

The Attachment name has changed a little, but other than that it appears to work the same way.