Thread: What OS to choose?

What OS to choose?

Hello all.

I have a small problem:

I got 4 old sparcstations and 2 old alpha stations, I want to run the Sparcstations as a clusered application and webserver and have the alpha stations as a clustered firewall and proxy.

What OS to choose (linux or unix) and what clustering solution is the best? I would prefer to have the same OS on all the machines if this is possible.

~micael

Hrm.. Sparcs.. one would probably lean toward SunOS/Solaris, no?
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

Sun, Solaris would maybe the first choice for the sparc stations, but since I want to run the same OS on all machines am I maybe forced to use a linus dist since I havent heard of a solaris dist for alpha machines.

I would like to hear the options from someone familliar with alpha and sparc, I have never worked with alpha or sparc so I am a total newbie on those platforms.

You lucky bastard, I would try getting suse linux or turbo linux, both have PPC editions.
    Offcourse NetBSD and OpenBSD or solaris can be installed, seems to me you have plenty of boxes to choose from.

Question

micael I'd like to help but alpha? hmmm .solaris for the suns 1st choice. Maybe if you could mention the alpha models. Anyway, here is a link for cross platform app to use between the suns and alphas once you choose an os.

http://solutions.sun.com/catalogs/al...ols/49501.html
    it is a xml /dataserver and offers support on several unix variants.

good luck - let us know how it goes.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Hello.

You lucky bastard, I would try getting suse linux or turbo linux, both have PPC editions.
    Offcourse NetBSD and OpenBSD or solaris can be installed, seems to me you have plenty of boxes to choose from.
    I guess that I'm lucky in some way, but these machines are only borrowed as education material (from my company). A PPC distro would not do me any good since the machines have Alpha (digital) and Sparc (sun) processor (correct me if I'm wrong on this one?).

I think that I will either go for Debian ar OpenBSD, I guess that BSD is better compatible with both Sparc and Alpha.. Hmm this is a hard one.. Choose between Linux and BDS is aint a easy choice. Any suggestions?

micael I'd like to help but alpha? hmmm .solaris for the suns 1st choice. Maybe if you could mention the alpha models. Anyway, here is a link for cross platform app to use between the suns and alphas once you choose an os.
    I will not start struggle with Solaris this time, since it's a bit more know how involved then just simple setup a linux box :D.

I have two "AlphaStation 200 (170mhz?)". And four "Sparcstation 4 (110mhz?)". All of them equiped with 32mb memory and 1gb scsi hdd.

Thank's for all your help !