Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bEST tEXT eDITOR/cODING aPP?!?!

Question bEST tEXT eDITOR/cODING aPP?!?!

landies & gentleman, boys & girls of all ages......

what in your opinion is the best app for writing code in?

(for any OS)

4ChecK

--ssshhh, be vewry, vewry quiet...

IMHO I would go for the VIM editor .

Homepage: The VIM (Vi IMproved).

Hi mom!
    Check and try EditPlus - It's fully adjustable, has standard highlighting and autocompletion for a bunch of languages (all optional) and others can be downloaded and installed (about 3k each) or created by yourself. Line numbering, build in HTML and FTP support, the option to manage your files in projects, and more... go see for yourself. It's my favourite light-weight editor (scripting and non-professional programming). Windows only.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Talking best editor

VI
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

oblio
    VI is an awful editor to code in, you are impressing anyone by saying VI. In windows depending on what I am doing I either use Ultraedit or Forte for Java. In Solaris I use Forte for Java.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    VI is an awful editor to code in, you are impressing anyone by saying VI. In windows depending on what I am doing I either use Ultraedit or Forte for Java. In Solaris I use Forte for Java.
    1: VI comes on every system as standard. Java is nothing more than an application on my machines and hence, not on every install/build I do. I'll take VI over emacs anyday of the week (said while wearing flame-proof suit) and it's a hell of a lot more functional than some editors I could name (ed[lin] anyone?). And I'd REALLY take VI over any editor-inside-an-application.

2: You made a mistake with the 'you are impressing' sentence. I'm assuming you meant 'you aren't impressing anyone'. Besides, have you ever seen anyone really fluent with vi fly through a document? By the time you get the mouse in the right position with your little Forte For Java application, I'd be done. I can't help it if you can't type fast and/or right.

3: You win small points for not saying 'Notepad' in winblows, otherwise I'd be really forced to laugh at you, moreso than I'm doing now.

All in good jest of course...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

VI for *nix
    editplus for winblows.

I have to admit, I unfortunately like Pico also. ............j/k
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    PICO?! Gah! Hehe, kidding...it's all preferencial treatment really...whatever works for people.
    As for winblows, I use editpadpro for a do-all mainly because you can have multiple files open inside one SDI (like Opera does) and has a light CVS ability.

PICO?! Wimp! Bet you use pine for mail too! *laugh*

The other unix admin here with me said "I use notepad and ftp the file over".
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

PICO owns VI...

You're triyng to cod ea document, not program a program to code a document. VI is overly complex and only an idiot would use it when more practical methods are available.

Yes, VI is on every system.. who cares.. the pine package is also installed almost every OS y default.

****, if we're trying to impress someone, just friggin' use "echo" and redirect output to a file.. because it's not like I make mistakes with I code.</sarcasm>

Blah.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

For windows I use UltraEdit. It's got customizable syntax highlighting, records macros, etc.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency